Bad knees can be a real pain and it is common for cyclists to suffer from this problem. However, bad knees might mean the end of your cycling career if you do not sort it out or find a way to get past it. Fortunately, we have also searched for the best bicycle for bad knees to help you find the right one. If you are looking for something functional and portable, the ANCHEER Folding Electric Mountain Bike is one of the top picks and really affordable as well.
While I might not be suffering from this problem myself, I do know a couple of people who had to give up the sport entirely because of things like arthritis. However, this should not be the case and with the improvement of electric mountain bikes, you can now continue enjoying your hobby without having to deal with all the pain constantly.
When looking for a decent bike for your bad knees, you will need to choose between a standard bike or an electric option. The electric options can be rather expensive, but they will take all the strain off your joints. In this article, you should be able to find the ideal bike to help you when suffering from bad knees. The buyer’s guide should also help you choose one elsewhere if needed.
Top Bicycles For Someone Suffering From Bad Knees
Now finding the right one can always be tricky and we have also done the web search without much luck. This meant we had to consult a professional to help us make the right decisions and look a little more intricately at each bike. If you are suffering from bad knees, here are a couple of the top options you could consider:
Top Pick: ANCHEER Folding Electric Mountain Bike
- FOLDING ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKE --- This bike adopts ultra-lightweight yet strong aluminum. Double shock absorption. Mechanical front and rear disc-brake design and 21-speed professional transmission system. Perfect climbing ability.
- ULTRA STRONG WHEELS --- 26 inch magnesium alloy integrated wheels with anti-slip resistant thick tire-- suit for trails, gravel, city streets, back roads, increases hill-climbing power, further range variation, and greater terrain adaptability.
The ANCHEER Folding Electric Mountain Bike comes with a massive 26-inch wheelbase and this will make it ideal for the larger rider as well. The frame is constructed from durable aluminum and includes an anti-rust coating to ensure the longevity of the bike. All of this will add up to excellent overall durability if you choose it.
The carbon steel shock system will be perfect for enduring tough terrains with a maximum weight limit of almost 250-pounds, the bike should be ideal for most heavy users too. The lithium battery can generate a massive 250-watts of power and can reach speeds of up to 25 MPH, which is more than enough to get you places faster.
One of the best parts of this bike is the ability to fold once you are done using it. If you need to go on a camping trip and you need a decent bike, this will be perfect to carry along and it won’t take up too much space in your kit either. For the price, it is also really affordable compared to some of the top elite bikes on the market today.
Best Entry-Level: Sixthreezero EVRYjourney Men’s 26-Inch Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle
- Versatile men's hybrid cruiser bicycle with 19-inch swooping step-through aluminum frame; perfect for cruise, leisure, and commute rides
- Upright riding style keeps your back and shoulders comfortable; foot-forward design helps maintain proper leg extension
If you are not into extreme sports and you simply like something comfortable that will keep your knees and joints safe, the sixthreezero EVRYjourney Men’s 26-Inch Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle is a great option. The bike is constructed with an aluminum frame and the wheels are a decent 26-inches. What makes this bike so effective is the design and it will not place any strain on your joints.
You will be able to find this bike at multiple speeds as well. However, the 1-speed option is perfect for the casual rider and it should definitely allow you to ride with the utmost comfort. While the bike is not really made for tough terrains, the semi-slick tires are included to offer you a softer approach on the road.
The feature that also stands out most is the braking feature and instead of simply having to pull the brakes, you can pedal backward. This means that you no longer need to worry about instantly stopping. Nevertheless, the option is still there. It is also worth noting that this bike is really affordable and perfect for the beginner.
Best Pick For Women: Huffy Fairmont Cruiser Bike
- An exclusive: Ideal for ages 13 and up and a minimum rider height of 5 feet; Huffy's exclusive Perfect Fit frame makes this the most comfortable bike you'll ever ride
- This design delivers more comfort and that means more fun and a better ride; it places the seat farther back with a lower center of gravity; this design, with swept-back handlebars, enables a more upright riding position with full leg extension
Women should not be left out and while most of the bikes on our list are for both men and women, the Huffy Fairmont Cruiser Bike stands out for the stylish approach and comfortable look it offers. This bike from Huffy features an aluminum frame, but this features an ergonomic design to make it comfortable for every woman out there.
The seat has also been stitched directly onto the piping and this means that you have maximum comfort and generous padding when you are riding. It also comes in the 24 or 26-inch wheel sizes, making it perfect for users of all sizes.
While this bike is also a comfortable cruiser, it can still be used for your uneven terrains. We do not really recommend you to go off-road with it, but rather enjoy a casual ride around the block to and enjoy life.
Best Electric Bike: Tomasar Power Electric Bike
- ☆ 【Large Capacity Lithium Battery】The E-Bike with 36V/8AH li battery supports 25km/15.5mile ( E-Bike Mode ) to 50km/31mile ( Assisted Mode ) ridding, you can buy the spare battery in our store if you needed.Equipped with smart lithium battery charger for fast charging (4-6 hrs).
- ☆ 【Foldable Design】This folding electric mountain bike adopt lightweight yet strong aluminum, easy storage. It’s more convenient to carry it for travel and trip.
If you are suffering from chronic knee problems, the electric bike is probably the best option for you. Something like the Tomasar Power Electric Bike generates a massive 350-watts of power and can help you reach up to 50 MPH when you are choosing the assisted option. It features a removable lithium-ion battery that can be replaced if needed.
It is worth noting that the bike can easily be folded, even with the 25-inch wheels. With this folding feature, carrying the bike should also be much easier. This will be ideal for camping and traveling. Riding off-road or in the city is easy with the quality of the tires.
This bike might be a little expensive and you need to deal with some maintenance. However, if you are serious about riding a bike and you have bad knees, it could make a massive difference. The bike is stylish and extremely durable and should be a great buy for you as a beginner or a professional rider.
Best High-End Option: HOTEBIKE 36V 350W Electric Bike
- 【Upgraded Design】1) Removable hidden 36V 10AH Lithium-Ion battery; 2) 36V 350W high speed motor; 3) 21 speed gear derailleur; 4) Reliable 160 disc brake; 5) 3W LED headlight for night riding; 6) Multifunctional LCD display; 7) Range per charge (PAS mode): 35-50 miles; 8) 26 inch wheels, light & strong aluminum alloy frame; 9) easy and fast installation
- 【Hidden Battery】36V 10AH removable Lithium-Ion battery, can reach an extra long range up to 35-50 miles per charge, and a full charge takes just 4 hours. The compact battery is hidden in the oblique bar, and it’s removable, invisible and lockable. 350W high speed brushless motor make the ebike deliver the best in class acceleration. Lightweight aluminum alloy frame and sturdy suspension fork ensure smooth rides on different road surfaces. NOTE: bike and battery will be shipped separately
Serious bikes will fall in love with this one, but it is rather expensive. The HOTEBIKE 36V 350W Electric Bike is one of the top-rated options and it comes with a massive power output of 500-watts. This will help you reach speeds of up to 20 MPH and even more. They have only limited it to the legal speed limit to keep you safe as well.
What makes this bike so impressive is the use of the technology and it includes an LCD display system for you to operate the controls. To help you tackle all the off-road situations, 7 gears are included with the 26-inch wheels. While we would recommend this bike top the serious bike enthusiasts with knee problems, you should keep in mind that it is expensive. If you are going to be using it often, this might be the ideal bike for you.
Key Features To Consider For Choosing The Best Biclycle For Bad Knees
While these are the options, we would recommend and I have had some of the fortunes of testing a couple of them, you might not like them. If you are searching elsewhere, this guide will ensure that you do find the bike that you need:
Frame & Size
The frame and the size will be the first things you look at. Carbon steel and aluminum are great materials and they are ideal for a decent frame. If you are one of the larger riders, you will need to look for a wheel size that is more than 25-inches. We generally recommend the 26-inches for heavier users, but 29-inches will be the best option.
Electric or Hybrid
We completely understand that not all people like electric bikes. If you only plan on using the bike for casual riding in the city, the hybrid cruiser is perfect. However, some of us will miss the adrenaline of nature. Nevertheless, this will require you to find something a little better. The electric bike is durable and can help you get over virtually any obstacle.
If you do decide to choose the electric option, you should keep in mind that these bikes do need maintenance. Manufacturers might claim no maintenance, but it is inevitable that something must be maintained. Fortunately, most of them work with a battery and this removes the need for having advanced mechanical skills.
Final Thoughts – Best Bicycle for Bad Knees
Suffering from bad knees should not be an excuse for you to live out your passion. If you are serious about riding your bike, these options will definitely be perfect. The bikes we have chosen will not only offer comfort, but they could also help with the recovery process. We stand by recommending all of them to the users with bad knees.
We would like to thank you for reading this article and encourage you to share some of your thoughts. Let us know in the comment section if you have ever used one of these bikes. We would also like to know if you have any other recommendations.
- 1 Top Bicycles For Someone Suffering From Bad Knees
- 2 Top Pick: ANCHEER Folding Electric Mountain Bike
- 3 Best Entry-Level: Sixthreezero EVRYjourney Men’s 26-Inch Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle
- 4 Best Pick For Women: Huffy Fairmont Cruiser Bike
- 5 Best Electric Bike: Tomasar Power Electric Bike
- 6 Best High-End Option: HOTEBIKE 36V 350W Electric Bike
- 7 Key Features To Consider For Choosing The Best Biclycle For Bad Knees
- 8 Final Thoughts – Best Bicycle for Bad Knees