Looking for the best commuter bikes under 300 dollars? Commuter bikes are some of the most versatile on the market. You can use them for the daily commute, to run errands, to keep fit, and even for some mild off-road applications every now and then. Commuter bikes are also great because they are super easy to use. After all, they are made to use on a daily basis so it must be simple and easy for you to get from point A to point B. With that said, most people still think that commuter bikes are simply not durable enough to handle the rigors of daily use, not to mention off-road applications. However, modern commuter bikes come with some incredible specs that place them at the top of the pile when it comes to durability and versatility.
Best Affordable Commuter Bikes
To help cut the legwork out of finding the best affordable commuter bikes, we’ve put together a review of cheap commuter bikes that are suitable for different applications and budgets.
1. Retrospec Beaumont-7 Seven Speed Commuter Bike
- Lightweight hand-built step-thru steel frame design with an upright riding position designed for urban commuting, leisurely riding, and exercis
- Equipped with Shimano 7-speed drivetrain and Revoshift twist shifters for ultimate precision, speed, and control
If you’re looking for the best city bikes under 300, look no further than this stylish commuter bike from Retrospec Beaumont. It’s designed for the female physique and features a customized handcrafted steel design. This is in addition to a 7-speed drivetrain that makes it easy for you to take it on different types of terrain. All of this and it’s yet super easy to use. Even beginners will find it a breeze to ride thanks to its custom Wanda tires. While it’s not advisable to take this bike off-road, its customized features and unique design make it an ideal bike for people who suffer from arthritis and bad knees. This makes it ideal for seniors, anyone who wants to stay active with an injury, as well as beginners. The lightweight handles contribute to its comfortability and ease of use, even for long rides. That’s why it comes highly recommended in commuter bike reviews, especially for female riders.
- By the time it reaches your doorstep, it’s 85% assembled
- Comes with Kenda 700x35C tires which offer a smooth grip and balanced ride
- Features pull brakes on the front and rear
- Comes with a Shimano 7-speed drivetrain
- Designed with a lightweight step-thru steel frame
- This bike’s performance and quality reflect its price tag
2. Schwinn Mikko & Huron Adult Beach Cruiser Bike
- Featuring a wide, dual-spring padded cruiser seat and classic cruiser handlebars, this bike provides an upright and comfortable riding position
- Ideal for riders between – 5’ 4” to 6’ 2” tall | Wheel size – 26” x 2.1” | Frame size – 17” | Pedals – ½
You can never go wrong with a cruiser bike if you’re the type of person that enjoys just riding your bike for the fun of it. It’s perfect for taking to the beach or on urban roads. This particular model from Schwinn is an affordable commuter bicycle with cruiser-style features and performance. Its design features a riser handlebar with a saddle that’s designed to help you maintain an optimal upright position over long periods of time. You don’t even have to think about it and this bike will keep that lower back pain at bay. Then you have smooth rubber tires with a unique symmetrical tread design that gives you the best traction on paved surfaces. Of course, the coaster brakes on the front and back are perfect for beginners and intermediate riders. If you like, you can always upgrade it to a mechanical or coaster brake system depending on your needs and preferences.
- Comes with a firm and rubberized grip for your convenience
- Comfy cushioned saddle
- Reliable and effective brakes
- Both the frame and front fork are durable
- The braking system might need an upgrade later on
3. sixthreezero EVRYjourney Steel Men’s Hybrid Bike
- Hybrid bike for men combines the features of a comfort bike and a commuter bike
- Shimano 7-speed external derailleur and front and rear handbrakes for leisure rides to long-distance commutes
This sixthreezero EVRYjourney hybrid bike is a combination between commuter and mountain bikes. It offers incredible off-road performance and yet it’s comfortable enough for long rides and urban cycling. Note that this is a cruiser-style bike which means that it will help to keep your spine erect to prevent back pain and the adjustable seat also makes it possible for you to enjoy this bike regardless of your height. Both the drivetrain and pedal are ready to take as much force as you can muster which makes for incredible performance overall. Also, because you can set the speed according to your preferences, it’s super easy to switch between gears so that you can enjoy this bike in different applications.
- Comes with a nice grip handle
- Features knobby, durable tires
- Adjustable seat with a padded saddle for your comfort
- The bike frame is sturdy yet easy to adjust
- Enables you to maintain an upright position throughout
- The brake parts may require an upgrade at some point in the future
4. Schwinn Discover Hybrid Bike for Men and Women
- Schwinn suspension fork, alloy crank, City rise adjustable stem with back sweep handlebar
- 21-speed SRAM grip shifter and rear derailleur mean that pedaling up a hill is easier; Alloy twist shifter compatible 4 finger brake levers
The Schwinn Discover Men and Women Hybrid Bikes are the best commuter bikes under 300. Why? Because these bikes are built to handle the rigors of regular use and can be utilized in different weather conditions and applications. Of course, they’re not built like mountain bikes, but they can certainly hold their own when it comes to trail biking, thanks to their custom suspension forks and sleek upfront fenders. These bikes also look as good as they perform, sporting sharp stylish while enabling you to maintain an upright sitting position throughout your trips. The saddles are cushioned for your comfort, regardless of the surfaces that you end up riding on. the fenders not only look good but they’re designed to keep you and your bike clean, while the luggage carrier in the back will always come in handy when you have extra gear to carry. Other notable features of this type of bike include its adjustable handlebars which enable you to customize its height and an 18-inch frame that’s suitable for most riders. To keep you safe, this bike also features Promax aluminum brakes and has a speed capacity of up to 15 MPH.
- Enables you to reach high speeds comfortably and safely
- Comes with reliable brakes that’ll bring the bike to a stop on a dime
- Available in two colors
- Features a 16-inch frame
- We wish the adjustable handlebars and paddles were made from high-quality aluminum paddles
5. Firmstrong Urban Man Beach Cruiser Bike
Firmstrong is a well-known manufacturer of cruiser bikes and they certainly don’t disappoint with this model. Although affordable, this cruiser makes it easy for you to reach 500 to 1,000 miles and it comes in a classic monochrome design with white rims that perfectly compliment the black frame. Notable features include its fixed-gear setting and coaster brakes which will bring this bike to a stop within a moment. The braking system is also remarkably easy to use regardless of your experience level. The leather grip handle is super easy to handle and comfortable enough to keep your hands from getting fatigued when riding the bike for a long time. All told, this is one of the best commuter bikes under 300 on the market.
- Reasonably priced
- It’s made from a durable yet lightweight frame
- Comes with a single-speed NEXUS internal gear hub
- Reliable brakes
- It’s low on maintenance
6. Roadmaster Granite Peak Men’s Mountain Bike
Here we have a great Roadmaster bike with a stable and durable frame that’s designed to help you handle any type of terrain. Of course, it’s a mountain bike, but it’s so easy to use and affordable that we had to include it on this list of the best commuter bikes under 300. It comes with 18 speeds to shift from and it’s super easy to change gears with it thanks to its high-quality Shimano shifters and gear system. The drive twist, on the other hand, is backed by an SRAM to further provide shifting accuracy. The great thing about this bike is that when you’re not riding it to work, school or the local grocery shop, you can take it to your favorite mountain trails on the weekend, switching from different types of terrain with ease and comfort. And all of this is made available at an affordable price tag.
- Comes with durable knobby tires
- Offers excellent braking power
- Comes with an effective front fork for reduced tension
- Rear and front sprockets make it easy to shift accurately
- Super affordable and easy-to-use commuter/mountain bike
- The braking system could use some improvement
7. 700c Royce Union RMY Hybrid Comfort Bike
- Assembly video beside images; RMY is one hybrid bike you can't ignore; the durable, lightweight aluminum frame is easy to handle and will never rust; Pearl Blue with clear coat looks stunning
- 15-Inch frame is suggested for a minimum inseam of 25 inches; 17 inch frame is also available; we deliver this bike 90% assembled; all tools included for fast assembly; the RMY is ideal for riding around town, commuting, and exercise
Another model that’s considered to be one of the best commuter bikes under 300 is this women’s 21-speed hybrid comfort bike from Royce Union. Although this particular model is designed for women, a masculine version is available in the requisite colors. It comes with a solid step-through frame, a comfy grip handle, and a leather padded saddle to ensure that you enjoy a comfortable ride no matter where the road takes you. It’s worth noting that the seat is slightly oversized to keep your lower back comfortable, and you’ll be able to maintain pretty much the same grip throughout thanks to its unique grip handle design. Other features worth noting here are the bike’s Shimano Revoshift gear and shifter combo which is a fantastic choice for beginners. Basically, it gives you 21 gears to choose from so that you can ride on different types of terrain with ease, plus you can never go wrong with anything from Shimano.
- Offers accurate gear shifting
- Comes with an effective front fork suspension
- Comfortable saddle and grip handle
- Made with a durable and lightweight frame and fork
- Assembly instructions aren’t that easy to understand
8. Eurobike Mountain Bike S7 Bicycle 21 Speed MTB
- Disc Brake System - Provides long lasting and stronger fasting stopping power than the traditional V-Brake Systems.
- Fashion design and 27.5 inches Aluminum rims.
Next, we have a rather sporty commuter bike from Eurobike which is built for the mountains but rides like a dream on paved roads as well. It’s made from a stainless-steel frame that’s suitable for both off-road and paved surfaces, with a design that can absorb shocks perfectly. This is all thanks to the bike’s dedicated dual suspension and double-wall aluminum rim wheels with durable rubber tires that can handle just about any type of rider weight and height. Then you’ve got the back and front suspension which makes for a comfy ride overall. Keep in mind that this bike is also fitted with derailleurs and thumb shifters from Shimano to help you pace yourself and handle your speed effortlessly. It’s also easy to shift gears on this bike, making it one of the most versatile bikes on this list.
- Offers a stable and balanced ride
- Impressive tire traction
- You can switch between different speeds with ease
- Reliable parts and brake mechanism
How to Pick the Best Commuter Bikes Under 300
Now that you know what the best commuter bicycles under 300 are, it’s time to look at how we reached the conclusion that these bicycles are the crème de la crème in this category. Keep reading to find out the most important considerations to make when looking for the best commuter bike for your needs.
Bike design depends on a person’s unique preferences but there are some standards to observe. For instance, you can choose between a steel spoke and alloy wheels, an angular frame, or a straight frame. Then you must consider the type of styling your bike features and whether it’s more suitable for men or women. Either way, you want a bike whose design accommodates your unique body shape and riding style as well as your preferred application. Most bikes come with a plethora of customization options too so keep that in mind as well.
If you plan on using your bike to go to work or school every day then you should avoid models that have an excessive amount of suspension parts. Alternatively, look for commuter bikes that are designed with a lightweight frame and room for customization and accessories. You should be able to opt for thinner or thicker tires depending on your needs. For the most part, high-quality brakes are a must if you plan on taking your bike off-road, and you should opt for ergonomic handlebars in order to ensure that the bike is tough enough to handle rough terrain. Multiple gears and durable suspension parts are also valuable.
Most importantly, make sure that the bike is comfortable enough to ride on the specific surface that you want to use it on and that it can go the distance. The last thing you need is an uncomfortable bike ride because your bike saddle is not adjustable or downright uncomfortable.
Most of the bikes in the preceding reviews come with Shimano gears or none at all. That’s because Shimano makes the best bike gears on the market and it’s relatively easy to find Shimano components compared to other brands. Gears can also make it difficult to operate a bike for beginners because they require more effort and concentration.
Bike wheels play a big role in determining the bike’s performance. Thin wheels are generally recommended for paved surfaces and urban roads, while thick, knobby wheels work perfectly for off-road applications.
You should also consider the bike’s drivetrain and its ability to enable you to effortlessly switch between gears. The good news is that experienced riders will find a lot of value and enjoyment in a 21-speed drivetrain.
Your budget shouldn’t limit the quality of the bike that you go for. There are plenty of different bikes at the $500 and below price point. This includes cruiser bikes and off-roaders which fall under the commuter bike category but with a different riding style. The most important thing is to ensure that your bike is made with high-quality components, even if it doesn’t have a lot of accessories.
That’s our selection of the best commuter bikes under 300. If you were to ask for our advice, we would recommend the Retrospec Beaumont-7 Seven Speed Lady’s Urban City Commuter Bike over all the others. It comes mostly assembled, it features balanced tires, a Shimano 7-speed drivetrain, and a lightweight step-thru steel frame, as well as easy-to-use rear and front pull brakes.
- 1 Best Affordable Commuter Bikes
- 2 1. Retrospec Beaumont-7 Seven Speed Commuter Bike
- 3 2. Schwinn Mikko & Huron Adult Beach Cruiser Bike
- 4 3. sixthreezero EVRYjourney Steel Men’s Hybrid Bike
- 5 4. Schwinn Discover Hybrid Bike for Men and Women
- 6 5. Firmstrong Urban Man Beach Cruiser Bike
- 7 6. Roadmaster Granite Peak Men’s Mountain Bike
- 8 7. 700c Royce Union RMY Hybrid Comfort Bike
- 9 8. Eurobike Mountain Bike S7 Bicycle 21 Speed MTB
- 10 How to Pick the Best Commuter Bikes Under 300