The emergence of the electric bike has revolutionized how people can enjoy biking. It has added speed, efficiency, and fun to the experience in an unprecedented manner. Moreover, the ebike revolution has improved the comfort levels cyclists can now enjoy. For instance, biking lovers no longer worry about exerting extra effort when climbing mountains. With the best electric mountain bike for hills, cycling uphill and downhill is the same smooth and effortless experience.
So, what is an Electric Bike?
But before delving into the details of the best mountain ebike, let’s define it to get a stronger foundation for our discussion. Simply put, an ebike is a bike that is powered by an electric motor. Moreover, you can get a mountain e-bike (emtb) in different types. The first type propels its electronic pedal assist while riders are pedaling it. The second type of electric bike for hills does not require the rider to pedal it. Instead, they only need to balance and control the bike as they move forward.
But how can you get your share of this mobility revolution? How to choose the best available option on the market? If you have such burning questions on your mind, then this mountain e-bike review is what will help you. In this best bike review, we will show you the top ten models on the market. You will discover more about their pros, the principle of operation, and the cons. Eventually, you will be better placed to make the right choice of the best ebike for hills.
Moreover, our detailed review will answer common burning questions about the electric bike:
- What features should you look for when choosing the best mountain ebike?
- How do these features affect your experience with your chosen best ebike for hills?
- What is the best bike model of electric mountain bikes for hills on the market in 2020?
Here is our review of the top-ten electric mountain bicycle models you can choose from in 2020.
1. ANCHEER Blue Spark Electric Bike (350/500W) Review
- This e-mtb has a 350W motor allowing effective daily commuting and cruising on different terrains.
- It has a large battery capacity powering the ebike for about 30 miles per single charge.
- It’s fitted with an LCD that lets you monitor and control your performance.
- The electric bike has professional-quality 24-speed gears that increase its efficiency while traversing hilly terrains.
- Its effective braking system works well during different weather conditions.
- Since it comes almost ready for use, users who hate tinkering with metals find it easy to set it up.
- Its tires don’t last long because of poor quality.
ANCHEER is one of the biggest industry names renowned for making some of the best electric mountain bike models on the market. So, what makes this mountain bicycle one of the best e-mtb choices among biking lovers in 2020?
It has a large battery capacity you can charge on or off the bike, and it’s easy to remove. With a full charge, the battery can power a ride of 25 to 43 miles. This e-mtb has a strong motor that enables you to ride mountainous terrains faster. Its large wheels let you enjoy greater speeds because they have greater rotational inertia. Also, these wheels enhance safety because of their greater traction power.
Besides that, the mountain bike has a strong and effective braking system because its front and rear mechanical disc brakes guarantee safety. This bike has 24-speed gears that give you the same quality of experience that professional riders enjoy while navigating through hilly terrains. This electric bicycle allows you to monitor all your performance through its high-quality LCD.
As for its state of readiness, it comes 85% assembled. So, overall, it’s a good bike. However, you will need to bear with poor tires’ durability and be ready to replace them frequently.
2. CLIENSY 26″ Aluminum Electric Mountain Bike
- ★3 CYCLING MODE: This electric bike comes with (E-bike & Assisted bicycle & Bicycle)3 cycling modes, you can choose the E-bike to enjoy a long time travel, or choose the bicycle for exercise; combining three mode would be a better choice. Go farther, go faster, and go more places. Whether you are a commuter, senior, casual rider or sports fan, this is the bike built for everyone.
- ★KEYLESS START SYSTEM: After learning the lesson that many people had losed their keys inadvertently, our new version ebike adopts a Keyless Start System, which will never encounter the embarrassing situation of losing keys. All you need to do is press the "M" button for 2-5 seconds, and when instrument display light is on, just enjoy your ride by simply twisting the throttle.
- The ebike comes 85% pre-assembled.
- Max speed is 20 MPH with over 19 miles mileage.
- This e-mtb has an adjustable seat allowing greater ergonomics.
- This ebike is fitted with fat tires that give you the much-needed comfort levels when riding on rough surfaces.
- The electric bike features the outage and mechanical braking systems.
- This best e-mtb has anti-slip tires.
- The bike is tall, and the saddle height is hard to adjust, making this model not the best choice for short riders (those shorter than 5 feet).
- It has a weak pedaling system.
- Its handlebar height is not adjustable.
This electric bike is a great choice that lets you enjoy a hybrid mix of speed and exercise since you can also use it like an ordinary bike. Moreover, if you value your health and prioritize ergonomic correctness, then it won’t disappoint you with its adjustable seat.
The bike guarantees your riding safety through its anti-skid tires. Moreover, it has a dual braking system that lets you enjoy greater safety when stopping. This effective braking benefits other road users also, especially pedestrians.
Its low weight is another reason it’s one of the best electric mountain bike alternatives on the market. Lastly, it’s one of the best e-mtb models this year because it comes almost fully assembled to save you 85% of assembling hassles. However, it is not the best choice for short riders.
3. Eahora XC100 Electric Bike
- The aluminum alloy allows this model to combine durability and small weight.
- It features top-quality parts produced by the leading manufacturers.
- It has a 5-gear electric mode and a 7-speed gear system.
- This emtb has excellent Tektro dual disc brakes.
- Its saddle is customizable for better rider comfort.
- The bike comes pre-assembled, not requiring your input before using it on the road.
- Its manufacturer’s customer care service is poor.
- This bike’s gears are weak.
This electric bike is one of the best mountain ebike alternatives on the market in 2020. The vehicle is the best e-mtb option for those seeking to enjoy the performance of excellent components from renowned manufacturers such as Shimano and Kenda. Also, it’s the best electric mountain bike for many biking lovers because it has an adjustable saddle that makes it ergonomically “correct.” Besides, it has a reliable battery and motor system that equips it for better performance. The system can power the electric bike to cruise at 28 mph and give you a range of 50 to 55 miles when engaging its electric-assist mode and 40 to 45 miles in its electric-only mode.
If you are not a person of nuts and screws, this bicycle is one of the best bets you can have. The reason is that it comes fully pre-assembled so it can save you the hassles of struggling to assemble it.
Those who love balancing between lightness and strength will find this ebike suitable for them. It’s constructed from sturdy aluminum material that lets it achieve these qualities. When buying it, you should be ready to bear with a weak gear system, although overall, it’s a good bicycle.
4. NCM Prague Electric Mountain Bike
- This electric bike comes with top-quality tires on the market.
- It has a durable battery allowing long travel.
- It has a reliable braking system for enhanced safety and control.
- The ebike can ride smoothly and safely on different on-road and off-road surfaces.
- It has an LCD control panel for riding activity and battery charge monitoring.
- This bike is light and strong due to its durable aluminum alloy frame.
- Might be heavy for some users.
If you are looking for an ebike that will transition you from traditional biking, this model is one of the best emtb options on the market today.
First, this emtb perfectly combines lightness and strength because it has a sturdy aluminum alloy frame that makes it easy to handle it. Also, the electric bike features an LCD panel that lets you control its operations easily. For instance, the display offers you six levels of pedal assistance when you need them.
This electric bike has a robust battery system that powers it for better performance. You can attain a riding range of 60 miles per single battery charge. This emtb also has some of the best tires on the market. The bike’s tire system has a preload setting that lets you customize your weight and preferred riding style. Therefore, it is easier to adapt the ebike to any road surface such as off-road and tarmac roads. Moreover, these tires ride safely on different surfaces without compromising your safety because they have a tight grip on various road surfaces.
Finally, this e-mtb has Shimano shifters and derailleurs that guarantee your drivetrain remains smooth and responsive for a long time. Also, its Tektro mechanical disc brakes ensure you enjoy greater safety for all road users through effective and timely braking.
5. NAKTO Cruiser Fat Tire Electric Bike
- A 12-month warranty period that also covers parts.
- This pre-assembled model requires minimal effort to start riding it.
- This electric bike has different speed levels to choose from.
- It has three working modes to meet the changing user needs.
- Its operation manual has insufficient instructions.
This is the best bike for hills for those seeking to enjoy a high-quality electric bicycle without running broke. First, it has high-quality components such as a carbon steel frame that makes it light and durable. Second, it has a horn to alert other road users—especially pedestrians—to avoid accidents. Also, it features a headlamp that makes your ride safer at nighttime. Third, it is the best electric mountain bike at its price since it lets you enjoy excellent shock absorption while riding on rough surfaces.
It’s the best emtb for a low-budget buyer because the battery lets you enjoy a decent mileage. For instance, it has a smart lithium battery charger that lets you cover from 25 to 37 miles per charge, with the motor powerful enough to ride at 25 to 30 mph. What’s more, this ebike has a 6-speed transmission system that lets you enjoy your desired speed rate. This speed variation is also backed up by an effective braking system that stops when you need to.
You can choose the best mode you want from the emtb. For example, you may use it as an electric bicycle or an ordinary bike when you want to exercise. An additional benefit is that the bike comes 95% assembled. This way, it is one of the best bets for users who lack technical assembling skills. Fortunately, you only need to fix the handlebar and its front wheel before you start enjoying great rides.
However, its operation manual is rather sketchy, which makes it difficult for inexperienced users to enjoy the bicycle fully.
6. ANCHEER AN-EB002 Power Plus Folding Electric Mountain Bike
- This best emtb comes pre-assembled, requiring only minimal input from the user.
- Users can enjoy three riding modes.
- It has durable wheels adapted to different road surfaces.
- This best bike for hills has a bright headlamp for increased safety at night.
- It has a comfortable seat.
- At times, you might need to adjust its battery positioning on rough terrain.
The ANCHEER electric bike is the best bike for hills if you are not willing to spend thousands of dollars on an ebike. The emtb’s manufacturer has dedicated itself to innovate, use superior-quality materials, and optimize its products with modern technology. Consequently, biking lovers can enjoy models that can satisfy their mobility and sporting needs in or around the city.
Moreover, this ebike is the best ebike for hills and users who value compactness. It also has a sturdy but light frame that makes it easy to fold and carry. You can ride it on any surface ranging from off-roads to city avenues.
Additionally, this model is the best electric mountain bike option for different users because it has a reliable wheel system. Its wheels are fitted with thick anti-skid tires that make it safer to ride the bike on various road surfaces.
As for comfort, it has a double-shock absorption system. Therefore, you can ride it easily on rough terrains.
Do you still want to enjoy riding the best electric mountain bike that lets you choose your riding modes? If you do, then you can get all that in this one. It has three different modes that let you use it as a normal bike when you want to exercise. If you are in a hurry, you can always use it as a fully electrically-driven bike. Lastly, you can also enjoy this e-mtb as an assisted bike; the choice is all yours.
Also, it’s a great option for users without technical skills because it comes 85% assembled. However, you might need to adjust its battery positioning not to mess up its alignment when riding on bumpy surfaces.
7. ANCHEER AN-EB001 Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike
- This best emtb has a robust and light frame.
- You can use it like a regular bike.
- It has a waterproof battery.
- It is equipped with a headlamp for safe night riding.
- This mountain ebike’s manufacturer has poor customer service.
- Its seat makes it uncomfortable for long-distance riding.
Are you looking for the best bike for hills? If you do, then this mountain ebike is one of the best options you can choose from. Moreover, it’s the best emtb option for those seeking a bike that combines strength and lightness since its frame is made of carbon steel while its handlebar contains aluminum alloy. Also, this mountain e-bike’s frame is best suited for rough terrains.
If you seek an ergonomic ebike, this one is your best bet. For instance, it has an adjustable handlebar and seat that can accommodate your height to maximize comfort during the ride.
Moreover, it has a 21-speed transmission system that lets you choose your optimal speed whenever you need it. This electric bike is safe for riding because it has a reliable braking system. It also has a horn that alerts other road users to avoid accidents. Thanks to an LED headlamp, it is suitable for safe cycling at night.
Additionally, this emtb’s battery system works really well. For instance, you can charge it easily on or off its frame. When charged fully, it can power your mountain e-bike for 15.5 to 31 miles (based on the chosen battery option).
Don’t forget this bike can also function as a regular bike. You may use its electric mode to travel faster when in a hurry. But, if you want to enjoy all the physical benefits of riding, you can ride it manually.
Besides that, you can enjoy a 12-month service warranty on the bike’s charger, battery, and motor. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about spending extra money on repair if something breaks down during the first year of usage.
Although it’s an excellent bike, you will have to put up with an uncomfortable saddle, especially when riding it for over 30 minutes continuously.
8. Kemanner Folding Electric Mountain Bike
- Its setup is simple, not consuming much of your time and energy.
- This electric bike has a quick-release battery.
- It’s safe to enjoy riding this mountain e-bike even in rainy conditions without skidding.
- It has a great battery performance that can power it for 28 miles on average over the usual terrain.
- This e-mtb’s cushioned saddle offers sufficient comfort while riding.
- It has a front-wheel suspension improving the rider’s comfort.
- It might be unstable when riding downhill.
- Its battery charge indicator is not always precise.
This model of an electric bike is revolutionary in all aspects. The upgraded version of this electric mountain bike features a 21-speed gear system for faster rides. Also, it has a reliable braking system. Moreover, the bike has three pedal assist modes to enable you to cruise effortlessly. You can choose your desired method using its simplified handlebar controls.
Additionally, different user groups find it easy to use this mountain e-bike. Such user-friendliness and versatility are possible since once you start pedaling the bike, its upgraded 350W motor starts kicking to give you faster speed.
For those who hate long and tedious assembling procedures, you will only need a mere five minutes to assemble and start enjoying this emtb.
Its battery can power it for 15.5 to 31 miles on normal terrains if you ride at 19 mph. Additionally, its battery is sealed, allowing you to ride in different weather conditions, such as rain.
If you seek a bike to cruise on flat and steep terrains, this model won’t disappoint you. Moreover, you can use this best bike for hills as a standard pedal bicycle.
Although it’s an excellent pick for many biking lovers, some users find it bulky, so one can argue that it’s more of a men’s electric mountain bike.
9. Bestauto Electric Mountain Bicycle
- This electric mountain bike has a light and compact design working well for users who want to enjoy easy riding.
- This ebike has a 21-speed transmission system.
- Its long-lasting battery can power the bike for over 31 miles with a single charge.
- Easy assembly with minimum effort.
- Greater safety is guaranteed by the tires’ anti-skid features and the anti-slip coating on handlebars.
- This mountain e-bike has mechanical rear brakes for added security.
- This emtb is foldable and portable.
- It might be heavy for some users.
What crosses your mind when you think of taking your time out to conquer off-road terrains in your neighborhood? What model of men’s electric mountain bike comes to mind? If there’s nothing you can think of, then this electric mountain bike should be one of the best options to consider.
First, the e-mtb has durable fat tire wheels that ensure you enjoy that much-needed extra comfort as you cruise through rough terrains. This way, you can enjoy your rides on the beach and through the snow. If you value speed, then this electric bike won’t disappoint you since it can reach 18 mph.
Moreover, its battery life is quite impressive. It can serve you for a long time since it has a 400 to 600-time recharge cycle. Consequently, you save money in the long-term since one charge can power the bike for more than 31 miles.
Regarding user safety, the manufacturer designed it by combining an outage and rotor mechanical braking systems that guarantee the necessary additional force for a sudden stoppage. Also, its handlebars are coated with anti-slip materials to ensure your safety.
10. ANCHEER AN-EB006 Folding E-Bike
- This mountain ebike features a large power capacity, making the electric bike suitable for use for long distances, and on rough terrains.
- This ebike’s fat tires make riding more comfortable, particularly over long distances over hills.
- Its 7-speed Shimano gear system lets you enjoy speeds of up to 15.5 mph.
- The battery has some flaws, with some users complaining that it doesn’t charge fully.
- Inexperienced users may mess with the battery position in the process of usage.
Do you want to transform how you experience biking in and around the city? Do you want to own a motorized traffic jam beater that lets you enjoy a carbon emission-free ride? If you do, then you might want to try this ebike. This model enables you to enjoy hybrid cycling using either pedal or walk-assist modes whenever you want to. It is also a great way to exercise while enjoying the beautiful sceneries of the city and its surrounding countryside. If you love touring mountainsides to enjoy the fresh air and break away from the crowding monotony of city life, then this mountain ebike might be just for you! This electric bike is best suited for hills and use on paved mountain roads.
Moreover, this best ebike for hills’ powerful 250W battery lets you enjoy speeds of up to 15.5 mph. If you are looking for a comfortable ride, its fat tires will allow you to enjoy it fully, especially when riding off-road.
However, you will have to bear with the mountain ebike’s seat because it doesn’t fit well, reducing your comfort level.
Picking an Electric Mountain Bike
So, what features should you look for when choosing the best electric mountain bike? Here are three main elements to look for while selecting the best e-mtb.
Ebike motors are critical to consider when choosing the best e-mtb for your needs. You need to study the two types of motors because they have different purposes. Moreover, different motors are suitable for powering varied types of electric bikes. For example, if you go for a mid-drive motor, it is there to ensure that the ebike’s pedals assist can respond naturally. When its weight is centered and lies low, it further assists in balancing and stabilizing your rides. This way, you are better placed to enjoy your electric mountain bike’s riding experience.
On the other hand, rear-wheel hub-drive motors are great for sending pedal power directly to the back wheel. Consequently, they make you feel like being pushed along. When you choose an ebike with this type of motor, it will be more challenging to change a flat tire compared to a mid-drive bicycle.
The front-hub drive motors let a mid-drive ebike drivetrain to function on the bike’s rear.
Lastly, you have to factor in an electric bike’s motor torque. This feature is critical to consider if you intend to use the mountain e-bike most of the time on hilly terrains. Also, you should consider it if you want to use the ebike to transport bulky cargo. However, your actual cycling torque varies as you adjust your bike’s pedal-assist settings. Your bike’s torque can be measured in newton-meters or (Nm). This measurement brings the listed max for the best bike from 40 Nm to 80 Nm.
Electric Bicycle Battery
Second, factor in an electric bicycle battery before settling for a given electric mountain bike. Experts recommend choosing the battery power based on how you want to utilize the ebike. For instance, it wouldn’t be wise to opt for a 250W-battery bike if you are a fast rider. The reason is this battery capacity suits the slower riders who might need steady electric assistance on flat terrains like parks. Such a battery capacity is more suitable for teenage learners or the elderly because it’s ideal for their safety needs. Therefore, if you want to use the best emtb out of town or in mountainous terrains, choose a battery capacity of between 350W and 500W.
Moreover, consider the ebike battery’s charging time. An average flat battery takes between three and five hours to charge fully, while larger ones might take longer. So, it might be wise to buy an extra charger or travel with it if you intend to use the bike for commuting.
The number of batteries is also an essential criterion since some electric bikes use two batteries simultaneously. This lets you ride your best ebike for hills for longer when one battery dies since you have a backup. If the electric bike uses one battery, it will be wise to have a fully charged standby replacement.
Lastly, it’s essential to examine the placement of the ebike’s battery. Some of them are external, while others are integrated into the bike’s frame. External ones are better since it’s much easier to replace or charge them compared to the internal ones. Their only downside is a higher risk of theft.
Electric Bike Wheels
When choosing an e-mtb, take your time to think about what wheels you need since an electric bike wheel type will affect your riding experience.
For example, if you intend to buy a folding electric bike, it won’t include suspension or any shock absorbers. Therefore, they may not give you the best comfort level you could get from other mountain bike types. However, if the bike allows you to use large and inflated tires, you will enjoy higher comfort levels. If a folding ebike doesn’t have fat tires, you can still upgrade to them later.
It’s also good to choose tires based on the terrain you want to use the bike on. If you plan to use the electric bike on bumpy areas, you have to go for wheels that allow for fat tires because those will enhance your comfort. On the other hand, if you are going to use your bike on flat and smooth city roads, this provision might not be of much use to you. Hence, do some research on issues related to wheels because they will affect other factors, such as mileage. Consequently, your mountain ebike’s range will also affect the level of speed you will enjoy while riding your electric bicycle, suggesting how fast you can travel. Lastly, you have to consider how economical or convenient it is to repair your bike’s wheels or replace its flat tires before settling for a given electric mountain bike’s model. Some electric bicycles require you to hire a professional to replace a flat tire because they have to remove their motors first. Based on what most users have pointed out, it will cost you between $40 and $50 to replace a flat tire under the above circumstances.
So far, you have learned a lot about the best mountain ebike choices on the market. From the definition of an electric mountain bike to answering fundamental questions, this review equips you with sufficient knowledge for choosing your perfect ebike. Moreover, it has provided the best electric mountain bike models on the market, along with the strengths and shortcomings of these models. Take into account these fundamental factors when buying the best ebike for hills.
So, what are you waiting for? The ball is now in your court to optimize this information and join thousands of biking lovers enjoying electric mountain bikes. You have everything to gain by shedding off the limitations of manual bikes. Choose the best mountain ebike model based on your needs and purchasing power since our choice pool has something for everyone. An informed decision will give you great value for your hard-earned money, so enjoy your emtb shopping!
Kevin Stard – professional sportsman in category MTB. Participant of the Downhill World Cup #1