If you are a cycling professional or if you are starting in the sport, you should be able to have a team that fits your needs and also adapts to the use you will give it.
There are different types in the market but to get the perfect model that we require for irregular and steep terrain, we must know which is the best mountain bikes under $500. Keep in mind that each model is intended for a specific audience of users.
To give you a better idea, we have analyzed all of the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars of 2021. We will briefly explain with their main characteristics so that you can know which one best suits your needs and the use that you will give it.
- Lightweight 12 inch steel frame is the perfect bike for rides around your neighborhood or trails. The 24-inch wheel frame fit riders 4’8” to 5’6” inches tall
- Bicycle comes with an alloy crank that provides steady gear changes that cause less maintenance
This model has the main advantage of having a 24-speed system that you can use as you require and be very efficient in its movement, thanks to its large 29-inch diameter wheels.
The tires bring a double-walled aluminum coating, which makes them very durable and resistant to uneven terrain. This model comes in size L, that is, for people who are 1.75 meters tall 1.84. Its brake system is both front and rear disc.
This 29-inch mountain bike is also very easy to use since it only weighs 13 kilograms, so handling it will not require any supreme effort. It is considered by users as the best mountain bikes under $500 on the market. This for its quality, price, durability, and also resistance.
For many professional cyclists, this model is the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars of the moment, so we invite you to detail the characteristics that distinguish this product.
- Versatility: By design, you can use this bike on mountainous terrain but also in the city and asphalt roads with total efficiency during the tour.
- Components: Shimano components give a high level of performance to the bicycle, as they are recognized for their quality and strength. This model includes among its elements the Schwinn – gearbox, the Schwinn ST-EF51 actuators, and the Schwinn TZ-20 plate diverter.
- Damping: The front fork integrates suspension to cover all types of terrain, guaranteeing efficient damping, equivalent to greater stability and safety during driving.
- Material: It is made of excellent quality aluminum, and this bike stands out for being lightweight but durable and resistant to intense mountain training.
- Mounting: Users say that its assembly is simple; you just have to place the wheels and adjust the handlebars to ride on your mountain bike.
- Settings: Several users claim that the speed system arrives un-adjusted, which hinders the bike’s performance and must pay in a specialized place to make the proper adjustment.
- Conquer any off-road trail with ease with this steel-framed mountain bike with supersized all-terrain knobby tires
- The threadless headset is adjustable for riders of different heights; For added speed and performance, the strong, lightweight alloy rims keep the weight down
In this bike, you can get up to 21 different speeds to be used as you want, because it will let you go at high speed or climb places that you would not have thought. It always keeps you safe because of its innovative disc brake system; This model also has a double suspension.
Being a folding mountain bike, being a folding mountain bike, it ensures excellent flexibility of use and can be stored anywhere at home. Its dimension drastically reduced from 95 cm to 33 cm.
Although one of those with the highest weight among others in the market, it is not very heavy. Its total weight is 18 kg, which is very light compared to other mountain bikes. The aluminium frame makes it lighter.
Living in a small apartment may not give you enough space for storage, so you can opt for a folding bike as it takes up little space.
- Design: This mountain bike can be stored in small spaces because its dimension is about 95 x 33 x 74 cm when folded. Can be put in the trunk of a car.
- Material: This model is made of Hi-Ten steel, a durable and resistant material that can last for many years if adequately protected from corrosion.
- Speed: It has the Shimano gear system with 21 speeds for optimal performance for driving on slopes, climbs, and terrain without much effort.
- Instructions: The instruction manual is in English, and many users express that it is a disadvantage that is not available in Spanish.
- Materials: Several customers claim that the pedal material could be improved to offer more exceptional durability.
- The Schwinn S29 mountain bike features a 18-inch/medium frame for a suggested rider height of 5'9"-6'2"
- Schwinn aluminum dual-suspension frame with a front suspension fork and rear shocks for ultimate bump absorption and durable trail riding
The Schwinn S29 Men’s Mountain Bike model has numerous quality details. These include its aluminum frame, its front suspension, or its Shimano changes, which place it at the forefront in today’s mountain bike market.
The Schwinn S29 Men’s Mountain Bike has been manufactured in high-quality aluminum, which reduces the weight of the product and maintains adequate resistance in all types of terrain. This frame is of size L, which allows it to be used by cyclists measuring from 1.75 to 1.84 meters approximately.
This frame has the usual format, although with an extended size handlebar, which makes it easy to hold comfortably. It is finished off in the fork area with a front suspension, which absorbs the ground’s bumps and offers you greater comfort when rolling on any surface on which you move.
Changes and brakes
Another quality detail of this product has to do with its components. This bike rides a Shimano TX-55 24-speed gearbox. Automated system changes are located at the bottom of the handlebar, with simple access and efficient activation. It is not necessary to move the lever depending on the plate or pinion. We want to place, making the change this work for us.
Regarding the brakes, these use the modern disc braking system that has come to replace the traditional shoe brake format. It has a system with good-sized activation levers and discs present on both the front and rear wheels. Suitable for most of the land and uses, we want to give the bicycle.
Wheels and tires
As the last aspect of our analysis, we talk about the wheels and tires of the product. These wheels and tires have a diameter of 29 inches with MTB format so that they have enough strength to move even in the toughest terrain.
To give you the traction you need, these wheels have a medium-heel design, which, as usual, serves both to roll around the city and not too complicated terrain. Rubena manufactures the Wheel with a double wall system, which increases its resistance to torsion and reduces the risk of punctures or other problems.
- The aluminum frame of size L, together with the tires made of the same material, allows reducing the weight of the bicycle to only 13.4 kilos so that you do not have to carry more weight than necessary.
- The brakes are suitable for everyday use both in the city and on the road, although some users mention that, in case of more extreme uses, it is advisable to check if they adapt to what we need.
- Front suspension design smooths bumps while biking and increases control for fluid riding
- Fitted Shimano 24-speed derailleurs and shifters for reliable and smooth gear shifting
The next bike on our list of the best mountain bikes under 500 is Merax FT323 mountain bike. This mountain bike has a relatively wide 27.5-inch hydroformed aluminium frame and large wheels to handle better in the different terrain that you must face. These have double walls for more excellent resistance.
It has 24 speeds that will allow you to improve your movement and performance on slopes and climbs. It also helps you face different surfaces when you are on the mountain efficiently.
Moreover, incorporated fork locking system and disk brakes give you greater control. The overall weight of this bike is 15 kg; therefore, it can be handled quickly, putting less effort. It is size M, ideal for people who are between 1.59 m and 1.71 m.
For some customers, Merax is the best brand of mountain bikes for its quality, designed for amateurs and professionals of this discipline. That is why we describe the positive and negative aspects of the 1000-15M model.
- Speed: The 24 changes of speeds allow you to obtain an efficient performance of the bicycle to move quickly and adapt the pedaling to the type of terrain that you are going to travel.
- Design: Distinctive Geometric design helps the cyclist maintain a more upright posture without having discomfort in the neck, shoulders, and back for a superior experience.
- Quality: The frame is made up of high-quality hydroformed aluminum, lightweight, and resistant for a higher level of durability with 27.5 inches, which at the same time allows easy loading because it weighs just 15 kg.
- Brakes: Some users express that it would be more beneficial if the brake system were hydraulic rather than mechanical. However, those it has offer efficient performance.
This model is mainly designed to be a mountain bike for children with six different speeds in its sprocket. It is used to start the smallest of the house in this sport.
Its 12-inch aluminum wheels, which is considered ideal for children ranging from 11 to 13 years. The height and weight of the users must be considered when buying a mountain bike.
It has quite durable and resistant clothing materials, to be used for a long time and in the mountain spaces that fit this product. This model is the best among mountain bikes for its great value for money; it is one of the best mountain bike under 500 dollars and worth every penny.
For your children to start cycling, we recommend reviewing the pros and cons of the best mountain bikes under $500 or less: the Diamondback Overdrive 29 model.
- Speeds: Being designed as a children’s mountain bike has a 6-speed sprocket that, combined with the triple plate, gives you better handling on flat terrain or an incline.
- Saddle: You can adjust the saddle position with the help of a manual pressure mechanism that requires no tools.
- Materials: They are being made of an alloy of lightweight and durable metals. The tires are made of aluminum to ensure durability and corrosion resistance.
- Fork: It is rigid, lacks suspension, which can complicate the handling because there is no damping during the journey on the rough surface.
- Seat: Some user says that the seat needs better padding, as it is hard.
- 6061 18.5 inch aluminum frame and aluminum crown front suspension
- 29 inch double wall alloy rims with 29 x 2.30 tires and
Many of you will love the hardtail mountain bikes for their affordability. The Kent Hawkeye Mountain Bike makes it onto our list as one of the best hardtail mountain bikes for beginners. The bike features a 6061 aluminum construction while adding mechanical disc brakes to increase the stopping power. The 21-speed drivetrain is from the Shimano factory.
- Mechanical Disc Brakes: Most entry-level bikes have linear brakes, but the mechanical disc brakes will offer instant stopping power.
- Handlebars: The unit features a 31.8-inch handlebar system, which can be adjusted depending on your needs.
- Aluminum Frame: With an aluminum frame, it is much lighter than steel bikes, while making it easier to transport.
- Rapid Fire Shifters: While these shifters are great for experts, they are extremely sensitive and will need some experience to use.
Huffy is one of the oldest brands in the world of cycling and they have designed various bikes for the industry. However, the Huffy 26″ Nighthawk Men’s Mountain Bike stands out as one of the best. IT features large 26-inch wheels, which combines with the 18-speed Nighthawk drivetrain system. The drivetrain includes twist shifters for rapid gear changes.
- Double Disc Brakes: Much like the top bikes, you have access to disc brakes at the front and rear of the bike.
- Tires: The bike features 26-inch tires, which are ideal for men of up to 6-feet. Additionally, 1-inch knobs on the tires will provide multifunctional traction.
- Resin Pedals: Ergonomics are important for the most comfortable ride and with ATB resin pedals, they are sculpted to provide comfort.
- Narrow Wheels: Even with the knobby tires, the bike wheels remain narrow, which is not great for bumpy terrains.
- Shimano 6-speed drivetrain with trigger shifter makes shifting simple, giving little ones a boost on climbs
- Hl Zoom 40mm travel fork soaks up rocks and roots just like on a bike for Big kids
Kids tend to get into mountain biking from an early and Diamondback is one of the top brands to consider. The Diamondback Bicycles Cobra 20 Youth Mountain is constructed from steel while featuring 20-inch wheels that should comfortably hold most teenagers. The HL Zoom front fork is around 40mm and it absorbs most of the shock.
- Shimano Shifters: Since children are prone to shifting errors, the 7-speed Shimano shifters are equipped with comfortable twist shifters.
- Linear Brakes: We don’t often recommend the linear brakes, but for kids, they offer decent stopping power.
- Shocks: The bike features a hardtail design, but a 40mm front fork can dip deep to resist the bumps from rocky terrains.
- Non-Adjustable Seat: One of the biggest drawbacks of the bike is the lack of an adjustable seat as your kid grows older.
Reliability is key for anyone who enters the mountain bike world. If you are strapped to a budget, the Roadmaster Granite Peak Men’s Mountain Bike is one of the best options that will allow you to get started. The bike features a solid steel frame, with 26-inch wheels. Additionally, the basic braking system requires less maintenance than competitors do.
- Lightweight: While the bike is made from solid steel, it features alloy wheels and an aluminum fork. It is much lighter than some of the other steel bikes.
- Tires: Compared to some of the other brands, the bike features narrow wheels, which knobs for significantly more traction.
- Budget: Aside from the great features on the bike, it is one of the most affordable options on the market today.
- Durability: You might come across a few durability issues. The caliper brakes seem to disintegrate over time.
A dual-suspension mountain bike is widely recognized by the rear suspension which is included. The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Bike is one of the cheaper dual-suspension mountain bikes, featuring an aluminum construction. The bike features 24-speed EZ shifters while giving you 26-inch wheels for riding.
- Shifters: The 24-speed Shimano shifters are very easy to use, with very few glitches that happen when riding.
- Disc Brakes: While the bike only features a singular disc brake in the front, the V-brake at the back offers great support.
- Full-Suspension: It is more comfortable to ride this bike with the dual suspension, which makes it one of the best full suspension bikes
- Balance: The bike lacks a bit of balance and the braking bias is completely shifted to the front of the bike, which can be dangerous going downhill.
- 18-Inch/Medium Aluminum suspension frame maximizes comfort & performance
- Element suspension fork smooths the bumps and increases control
Large riders often have issues finding the right bike for their needs. However, the Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike is one of the better 29-inch bikes. It features a dual-dual suspension system and disc brakes for optimal stopping power. Additionally, SRAM and Shimano have combined to produce the shifters and drivetrain.
- Bike Size: The bike features a 29-inch wheel size, allowing some of the larger riders to find an optimal bike.
- Drivetrain: As mentioned, SRAM and Shimano have doubled down, providing a 24-speed drivetrain with twist shifters.
- Brakes: Users will have access to a dual disc brake system that provides comfort and peace of mind when stopping.
- Lacks Shock Durability: Unfortunately, one of the first components you will need to replace is the shocks.
- 【High tech Frame】Hiland H300 has Light Aluminum frame is packed with features that make your ride better. Good performance suspension fork make it playful enough for new riders and experienced shredders riding from packed single track to the loose stuff.
- 【Shimano drive train】SHIMANO Shifter and Derailleur with 24 Speeds, a wide range of gears gives you more control for climbing,for room to get low on descents, corners and jumps.Double wall aluminum wheel rim handle pavement, gravel and dirt with ease;
The very first thing that you’ll notice about the Hiland 26” aluminum mountain bike is the gorgeous paint job and the finish.
It’s available in four different colors and all of them are equally stunning. For a mountain bike under $500, Hiland offers one of the best looks in the market.
Instead of going for a steel frame, Hiland went with Aluminum which is a lighter material. As a result, the Hiland is capable of faster performance than the Dolomite, but it isn’t as stable.
It doesn’t mean that the Hiland feels dangerously unstable, it just can’t offer the same stability as steel frame mountain bikes. Despite the lightweight nature, aluminum is very durable and can easily withstand all the shocks and damage that comes with off-roading.
The Hiland mountain bike excels when it’s travelling at high speeds. When you’re good at going fast, you need to be good at stopping quickly as well. The 24-speed shimano shifter system will help ensure that you’re always in complete control.
Luckily, the Hiland comes with a double disc brake system that helps ensure you come to a stable stop every time. However, the brake pads might need changing on some models.
What lets the bike down is the assembly process. If you’re experienced at assembling bikes then you can manage, but new cyclists will struggle.
All the shipping also means that even the pre-assembled bits require some level of adjustment to ensure that they work properly. The best idea is to take the bike to a mechanic who can help tighten everything up!
The Hiland mountain bike easily makes the list of best mountain bikes under $500
- Available in four beautiful color schemes
- Good at high-speed performance
- Smart 24-speed shimano shifter system
- Decent build quality
- Pre-assembly issues in certain shipments
- Not as stable as other top mountain bikes under $500
- Disc Brakes Front and Rear, Strong and Durable Aluminum Frames
- Easy to Use Shimano Shifters
The Gravity FSX 1.0 is a stunning cross country mountain bike that’s perfect for casual riders. However, for someone that’s looking to start with some serious off-roading, the FSX 1.0 leaves a lot to be desired.
It’s made out of a lightweight aluminum frame that’s high quality and features a beautiful finish. The bicycle comes in three different colors. Thanks to the lightweight aluminum design, the Gravity FSX 1.0 is pretty handy on the road.
Where it starts to perform poorly is on serious off-road trails, the lightweight frame simply isn’t strong enough to absorb the shocks that come with proper off-roading.
On top of the lightweight frame, Gravity also made the baffling decision to put road bike tires instead of the standard mountain bike tires. The tires make the bike smoother to pedal on streets, but anyone serious about off-roading will replace the tires with wide ones!
After changing the bike tires, the off-roading performance improves significantly. If you buy the Gravity FSX 1.0, you’ll get a decent frame with some good components. However, to get the most out of the bike, you’ll need to change a few parts.
- Great for casual bikers
- Beautiful finish
- Decent frame
- Great build quality
- Frustrating design decisions
- Off-road stability could improve
SIRDAR might be a name that’s unfamiliar to both beginner and experienced cyclists. However, the company is quickly becoming more popular because they’re building high quality bicycles.
Instead of charging ridiculous sums of money, they’re going the other route by providing high quality bicycles at an affordable price point.
The SIRDAR S-700 is one of their best offerings, and deservedly earned its spot in our best mountain bikes under $500 list. It’s made from a combination of aluminum and high carbon steel.
By combining the two metals, the SIRDAR S-700 gets the best of the stability steel provides and the lightweight nature of aluminum. Despite housing 27-inch wheels the bicycle is still fairly light.
You get all the comfort too because SIRDAR made the choice to include a full suspension system with the bike.
An issue that most buyers encounter when purchasing the S-900 is the needlessly ambiguous instruction manual. If it wasn’t for the bike being 90% pre-assembled and helpful instructional online videos, then everyone would struggle with the installation.
Aside from a few small hitches, the SIRDAR S-700 27-speed is one of the best mountain bikes for the money!
- High quality frame material
- Stable and lightweight
- Full suspension system
- Quality control issues
- Assemble instructions are very confusing
Rounding up our list of the best mountain bikes under $500 for men is the Vilano Blackjack 3.0 29er. We’ve already talked about one 29-inch wheel mountain bike, but the Blackjack 3.0 is a better option than the Impasse!
One of the most interesting features about the Vilano Blackjack 3.0 is that it’s made out of 6061 alloy aluminum. The alloy form of the metal is much tougher and better suited towards off-roading.
Not only is the frame material durable, it’s also lightweight which allows the bike to reach much higher speeds. With the greater speed, the inclusion of mechanical disk brakes is very welcome. They’re so effective, even when braking suddenly you won’t lose control.
On the subject of control, the bike can handle multiple different terrains thanks to the 8 Speed EF-51 integrated shifter. While that’s not close to the number of gears that the Impasse offers, the act of shifting is much more satisfying on the Blackjack.
Where it does lose is when it comes down to suspension. The overall ride of the Impasse feels more comfortable thanks to the dual suspension setup. On the Blackjack, unfortunately you get a front suspension system.
You can lock out the front suspension but a dual suspension system would help take the Vilano Blackjack 3.0 to the next level!
Regardless, It’s still among the best 29-inch wheel mountain bikes under $500
- Attractive black and red color scheme
- 8-speed EF-51 Integrated shifter
- Front suspension can lock out
- Supremely comfortable
- Only features front suspension
Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 for Women
For so many years,the cycling industry would make cycles that generally would cater to men. However, in modern times that’s completely different. Nowadays, there are specifically designed bicycles for women.
Here are the best mountain bikes under $500 for women!
- Assembly video under images; RMT is one great bike to ride; the hardtail frame is molded from durable, no-rust aluminum, lighter than steel; that makes this bike easier to accelerate, easier to maintain momentum, and easier to handle
- All tools are included for fast assembly; 15-inch frame is for a minimum inseam of 25.25 inches; 17 inch frame is also available; Zoom suspension fork delivers solid performance
Wheel Size: 27.5-inch
Suspension: Front fork w lockout
Number of Speeds: 21
Frame Material: Aluminum
Brake Style: Disc
We’ll start our list of the best mountain bikes under $500 for women with the stunning eggplant purple Royce Union RMT. It’s 15-inch frame and 27.5-inch wheels make the mountain bike the ideal size for women between 5’0 and 5’6.
Taller women can choose to go for the 17-inch frame. The RMT is immensely comfortable and is a great bike to ride. An aluminum hardtail frame ensures that the bike is durable and lightweight at the same time.
The lightweight nature of the bike means that it may not be the most stable but it’s definitely good at accelerating. Maintaining the speed while you’re off-roading is also no problem thanks to the shimano shifters.
Its gear levers are very intuitive and make riding the bike a completely seamless experience. Royce Union adds to the comfort by featuring a padded seat that’s easily adjustable.
The Royce Union RMT comes with tires featuring an all-terrain tread pattern that doesn’t provide the same level of resistance as standard mountain bike tires.
Thanks to the all-terrain tread pattern, the Royce Union RMT is ideal for riding through the city and on gravel paths.
For entry-level female cyclists, there’s no better option than the Royce Union RMT. However, there are other mountain bikes that perform better off-road.
At the end of the day, what matters most to a mountain bike should be the off-road performance. The hybrid focus of the RMT holds it back from being the best mountain bike under $500 for women.
- Great mountain bike for beginners
- Works well on paved and gravel paths
- Intuitive gear shifting system
- Off-road performance isn’t as impressive
- Doesn’t use the highest quality parts
- Trail ready alloy mountain frame with SR Suntour XC-E28 suspension fork. Fits riders 5’4” to 6’2” tall.
- 21-speed shifters and derailleurs provide quick, precise gear changes.
Wheel Size: 27.5-inch
Suspension: Front fork w lockout
Number of Speeds: 21
Frame Material: Aluminum
Brake Style: Disc
The very first thing that stands out about the Mongoose Switchback is the beautiful white and pink color scheme. It’s a very eye-catching design but there’s a lot more to the Switchback.
Mongoose went with an aluminum alloy frame which isn’t as lightweight as you’d normally expect from the material. As a result, the Switchback might be slower than the Royce Union RMT but it’s definitely more stable.
A suspension fork in the front further adds to the stability. It’s perfectly capable of handling the shocks and vibrations that you’ll experience on a typical mountain bike trail.
What lets the Switchback down is that it uses some plastic components. While the frame of the bike is incredibly solid and stable, off-roading can damage some components and cause them to fall off.
All the essential components though are super high quality. The bicycle features a SR Suntour XC-E28 suspension which is high quality and helps ensure stability.
On top of the SR Suntour suspension, Switchback owners will also get access to 21-speed shifters and a rear derailleur. The presence of these help ensure that every gear change feels quick and precise.
While the Switchback is a lot closer to mountain bike performance than the Royce Union RMT, Mongoose still made attempts to make the bike more all-purpose.
The mountain bike features 2.1-inch wide all-terrain tires. These tires aren’t like regular mountain bike tires and make it much easier to ride the bike on the pavements.
Even though some people might argue that making the bike better suited to all-terrains will get more sales and attract more people, it’s a decision that holds this Mongoose bike back.
- High quality components where it matters
- Good on paved roads as well
- Sacrifices off-road performance for accessibility
- Use of plastic in bodywork
Wheel Size: 26-inch
Suspension: Front fork w lockout
Number of Speeds: 21
Frame Material: Aluminum
Brake Style: V-brakes
While we might be cheating a bit here because the Mongoose Status 2.2 is marketed for both men and women, it definitely makes our list of best mountain bikes under $500 for women!
You must already be aware that Mongoose have quite a reputation for making mountain bikes. Almost all of their products do well among cyclists and the Status 2.2 is no different.
Unlike the KMT and the Switchback, the Status 2.2 comes with a dual suspension system. The dual suspension system helps ensure that the bike can capably deal with any bumps or obstacles while you’re off-roading.
However, one baffling design decision in the bike is the inclusion of front and rear V-brakes. While V-brakes aren’t a massive deal breaker, in a world of disc brakes, it’s certainly an odd decision.
Leaving out the little hiccup with the brakes, the Mongoose Status 2.2 is a brilliant mountain bike for women.
The 21-speed shifter system ensures that any gear changes that you make feel natural and makes pedalling much easier.
On top of the 21-speed shifter system, Mongoose also includes riser handlebars that feature colored end plugs. The end result is one of the most aesthetically pleasing mountain bikes on the market.
- Mongoose Reliability
- Brilliant Design
- Dual-suspension system
- Makes use of V-brakes instead of disc
- Assembly tutorial video located beside the images; with a charcoal gloss hardtail frame and 21 speeds to conquer the trails, the Stone Mountain is ready for outdoor adventures; just follow the steps in our product manual
- An exclusive: Ideal for ages 13 and up and a minimum rider height of 5 feet; durable steel frame backed by our limited lifetime warranty (see owner's manual); suspension fork handles bumps and dips for a smoother-feeling ride
Wheel Size: 26-inch
Suspension: Front fork w lockout
Number of Speeds: 21
Frame Material: Steel
Brake Style: Disc
When it comes to the best mountain bike for women under $500 the Stone Mountain women’s mountain bike is the top pick.
It features a 17-inch steel frame that helps ensure that the mountain bike remains as stable as possible. Steel is much heavier than aluminum, which makes it a lot more stable while off-roading.
Even though the bike’s heavier than the other mountain bikes on the list it doesn’t feel sluggish or hard to ride. The presence of Shimano rear derailleur in combination with a micro-shift twister makes changing gears a pleasure.
You can choose between gears that are ideal for uphill climbing, downhill riding, or riding as fast as possible. It’s also possible to remove the rear derailleur guard that helps maintain consistent gear operation.
The inclusion of knobby tires makes the mountain bike ideal for dirt bike paths and other kinds of terrain. Additionally, the linear pull brakes are also a welcome inclusion.
As soon as you pull the brakes, the bike delivers very consistent braking power which is very useful on off road tracks.To ensure that the cyclist remains as comfortable as possible, Stone Mountain went with padded ATB saddles.
Unlike other stock saddles, these ones won’t start to fade and will last for a significant time. It’s nice to see that Stone Mountain thought about all these little things while designing this bike.
It’s full of features that you’d find on more premium mountain bikes. The presence of Kraton grips ensure that the bike’s handlebars always remain comfortable.
The only slight knock on the bike is the dull color schemes. If the finish of the paint was a little better, then the Stone Mountain would arguably be the perfect mountain bike for women!
- Super comfortable ride
- Exceptional off-roading performance
- Smooth pedalling
- Dull color scheme
- 【19" mountain frame】 27.5 Inch Mountain Bike with a steel shock-absorbing fork ensures a fast and a great ride.
- 【Front Suspension】Mountain bicycle with front suspension fork, it can reduce the bumps caused by the rugged road during riding
Wheel Size: 27.5-inch
Suspension: Front fork w lockout
Number of Speeds: 21
Frame Material: High Carbon Steel
Brake Style: Disc
One of the main reasons why mountain bikes are so popular it’s because of the Eurobike Bikes X1. It features 27.5 inch wheels and a 21-speed gear system.
The X1 is the ideal mountain bike for tall women, Eurobike recommends that people that range from 5’4 to 6’0 in height should go for this bike.
When it comes to the mechanics of the bike, it features a front fork suspension that helps reduce any bumps and ensure that the cyclist is comfortable.
On an off-road trail, the suspension works overtime to ensure that the front wheel remains on the ground. Staying on the subject of wheels, the three-spoke rim design is stunning.
Eurobike went with high carbon steel as their choice for frame material.As a result, the X1 is durable and weighs enough to ensure a stable ride.
There’s a slight disadvantage to using high carbon steel though. High carbon steel is a brittle metal. Which means that if there’s a crash instead of dents, the frame will start to crack.
It can potentially shatter which can be a lot of trouble.
- Aluminum 6061 material
- Purpose built for women
- Smart suspension system
- Can shatter upon impact
- RMA is the perfect trail companion; an all-terrain mountain bike ideal for trails, gravel paths and even paved streets; hardtail aluminum frame never rusts and is lighter than steel for easier acceleration and easier handling
- Assembly video beside images - Arrives with bike assembly tools; 17-inch frame is suggested for minimum inseam of 28.25 inches; 15 inch frame is also available; front Zoom suspension fork smoothly absorbs shocks from bumps and dips
Wheel Size: 27.5-inch
Suspension: Front fork w lockout
Number of Speeds: 21
Frame Material: Aluminum
Brake Style: Disc
Royce Union have been around for a long time and as a result they have a very big catalogue. One of their best bikes for women is the RMA. It features the signature Royce Union style and is immediately recognizable.
Thanks to the all-terrain tires, the mountain bike is great for trails, gravel paths, and even paved streets. That’s why using a hardtail aluminum frame is such a great option.
The frame is both lightweight and durable. Their lightweight nature means that the RMA is ideal for acceleration and the handling is better.
On the front of the bike, there’s a Zoom suspension fork that helps smoothly absorb any potential bumps and shocks.
There are also other high quality components on the bike that help ensure optimal performance. One of the key inclusions is the Shimano EZ Fire Plus Trigger in combination with the Shimano Altus rear indexed derailleur.
It’s capable of shifting through the 21 speeds in an ultra smooth manner. You can change gears easily with just your index finger or your thumb,
The one essential feature that’s missing from the Royce Union RMA is a kickstand. While you can install an external kickstand, it’s definitely an oversight.
- Combination of great components
- All-terrain performance
- Lightweight ensures that acceleration is easy
- Bike requires a lot of different adjustments
These are some of the best bikes under $500 for men and women. The top pick for men is the Mongoose Dolomite. It’s a pure off-roading beast that’s capable of tackling all terrains and all weather conditions.
The best bike under $500 for women is the Huffy Mountain Stone. It combines accessibility, high quality components, and exceptional off-road performance in one package.
If the top picks don’t quite float your boat, any of these bicycles above will make a great choice. By knowing what features to look for, you can make the best choice for yourself. Keep reading to learn more about how to pick the best mountain bike under $500
Best Mountain Bike Under $500 – Buying Guide
If you’re an experienced cyclist, then you probably already know how to buy a bicycle that suits your needs the most. Those that are new to mountain bike, struggle to identify what features they need to be assessing.
By taking a look at these key features, anyone can assess whether or not the mountain bike is worth buying or not!
While you can easily customize most of the components on your bike, it’s close to impossible to change the frame material. That’s why it’s essential to identify which material meets your needs best before making the final decision on a bike.
When you’re browsing through mountain bikes, you’ll notice that there are two main material choices that are available in the sub $500 mountain bike category. You can pick between either steel or aluminum.
There are other alloys like high-carbon steel and 6061 aluminum that are also available. However, the main ones that are prevalent on the market are aluminum and steel.
Aluminum is becoming increasingly popular in mountain bikes that want to perform on all-terrains. The lightweight nature ensures that the bike is easy to pedal and the handling is sharp. However, because of the lightweight you do lose a little bit of stability.
Steel is the traditional material of choice for mountain bikes and for good reason. It’s rugged, durable, and the extra weight ensures that it’s always incredibly stable. Most hardcore mountain bikes still predominatly use steel as their frame material.
Deciding between the two material choices is really a matter of personal preference. If you want to enjoy a lightweight mountain bike that you can easily ride on the streets then aluminum is the right choice.
On the other hand, if you want a heavy-duty off-road mountain bike, then you can’t go wrong with steel!
After you decide on what material you want, the next most important step on the list is picking the correct frame size. Frame sizes can become quite confusing to understand these days.
Some manufacturers are categorizing their sizes according to inches, while others are using the small, medium, and large classification.
Mountain bikes are available in all kinds of different wheel sizes and that makes it easy to get confused. Now there are three main mountain bike wheel sizes that you can choose between.
There are 26-inch, 27.5-inch, and 29-inch wheels. Each of these different sizes bring with them their own properties and behaviors. Here’s what you need to know about the sizes so you can pick the one that suits your needs the most!
Let’s start off with 26-inch wheels. Traditionally, most mountain bikes would come with 26-inch wheels, especially the ones that would use aluminum as their base. The benefit of 26-inch tires is that they’re super lightweight.
That makes these tires ideal for smashing through off-road trails at high speeds. However, because of their small size they aren’t durable.
27.5-inch wheels are starting to become more popular than 26-inch wheels. They’re able to offer similar performance but they’re more durable and better for longer journeys. You’ll find bikes in all kinds of frame materials with 27.5-inch wheels.
29-inch wheels or 29ers are starting to exponentially increase in popularity. The wheel size is so popular because more people are shifting towards making long off-road journeys.
Aside from being the most durable out of all the wheel sizes, 29-inch wheels also make a mountain bike look incredible.
These are the three main wheel choices that will be available to you when you go to buy a mountain bike. Assess what type of riding you plan to use your bike for and then pick the wheel size that matches your needs the most.
Mountain bikes are available in multiple different gear configurations. Cyclists can choose between going for single-speed or multi-speed variations.
The purpose of these gears is to essentially ensure that pedalling remains smooth and efficient regardless of the terrain. If you’re going to be riding on tracks that feature loads of steep hills and climbing is a bit of a challenge, then you’ll want to pick a mountain bike with high gears.
If you’re an experienced cyclist and are looking to ride on mostly flat terrains then a low-geared variant will do the trick. Low-gear drivetrains are also lighter in comparison and are starting to become more popular!
The suspension plays a major role in how comfortable and stable your mountain bike will ride. There are three main types of mountain bikes on the market; Hardtails, Full Suspension, and Rigid Bikes.
A hardtail mountain bike features the suspension on the front. The front suspension is necessary because it can capably absorb any potential bumps on the trails. Consequently, hardtail mountain bikes have a very smooth and efficient ride.
Full Suspension Bikes:
A full suspension mountain bike features a suspension on both the front wheel and the rear wheel. The result is a much smoother ride than hardtail bikes but the overall weight of the bike increases.
Rigid bikes are starting to become a thing of the past. These are bikes that feature no suspension at all. Most people just ride these bikes just for fun!
In the current market, cyclists can choose between a hardtail or a full suspension bike.. If you value speed over a smoother ride, than hardtail bikes are more up your alley.
A full suspension bike is for those cyclists that want enjoy the most comfortable experience possible on a mountain bike!
By looking at these key features, you can make the best possible decision for yourself and choose the mountain bike that suits your needs best.
Can I ride my mountain bike on paved terrains?
Mountain bikes can function on roads but it won’t be the most enjoyable experience. If you want to predominantly ride on paved roads, a hybrid or a road bike is a better option.
<h3Can you upgrade a mountain bike?
Aside from the frame size and the material, you can pretty much upgrade and replace everything on a mountain bike?
Is there a difference between men and women’s mountain bikes?
Yes, as more and more women start to cycle, manufacturers are taking advantage by designing bicycles that specifically cater to women. These bikes will have features like shorter tubes and narrower handles.
Are mountain bikes faster than road bikes?
On off-road terrains, mountain bikes easily manage to outperform road bikes. However, on pavements not even the most skilled cyclist will be able to keep up with a road bike while riding a mountain bike.
It’s becoming trendy now to create a mountain bike that’s capable of performing on the pavement as well. While this is making cycling more accessible, it’s also adding to the mountain vs hybrid bike dilemma!
Nonetheless, if you want to shred some serious off-road trails, nothing will give you the same level of satisfaction as a mountain bike. Pick whichever one suits your needs the most and get ready to shred!
How To Use A Mountain Bike
For those who are love cycling but want to go beyond what conventional ones can offer you, they should go for a mountain bike. These will first allow you to ride at different speeds, have more brake capacity, and also, resistance to places steep and little regular surfaces like the ones you’ll find on the mountain, allowing you to get almost anywhere.
There is a wide variety of models and designs globally so that they can use it from beginners to two-wheel mountaineering professionals. If you ask for our suggestion, we would recommend two models among the most prominent for their sales and positive comment.
Among our list of the best mountain bike under $500, we can highlight the Schwinn S29 Men’s Mountain Bike, which has 24 different speeds to face different terrain and 29-inch wheels for more excellent stability and better travel; and the Merax FT323 Mountain Bike gives you 21 easy-to-use changes and is made of materials highly resistant to use such as aluminum.
For those people who love cycling, it will be essential to have a bicycle that allows them to face any terrain. But more importantly, it will be knowing how to maneuver it properly, whether you use it on flat surfaces, and not-so-flat surfaces, such as mountains.
As it should be noted that there are ideal bicycles to practice your favorite sport in the mountains and lend themselves to relax on asphalt. As long as you make the correct use of it, you can enjoy it for a long time.
Unpack the bike
First of all, you must proceed to unpack the bicycle. To do this, you will have to take out the corresponding pieces one by one for the assembly process. It should be noted that some bicycles tend to come unarmed, so you must assemble them at home.
Verify that the bicycle parts are complete and in good condition
In the case of a bicycle where you will mostly transport yourself while in the mountains, it will be essential that you verify, before the assembly process, that each piece is in perfect condition, even more so if it is a completely new bicycle. The fact that both the brakes and the wheels or even the handlebars are in good condition will positively influence the comfort and ease with which you can ride your mountain bike.
Proceed to assemble the bicycle
If you receive your unarmed bicycle, it should not be a concern for you, since the assembly system turns out to be quick and easy. You just have to place the two wheels in their respective positions and then adjust the handlebar properly.
However, we consider it very important that after the assembly process proceeds to verify that the tire pressure is adequate. Also, the brakes and the handlebar must be in optimal condition. At the same time, the saddle should be adjusted to your needs to pedal with great ease and comfort.
Once armed, you will be ready to ride.
Once you have assembled the bicycle correctly, you will be ready to ride. Now you simply have to take some safety measures, essential to avoid any type of incident while using it.
This way, we recommend that you make constant use of the helmet and your knee pads and cordilleras. Remember that, in case of an accident, having your safety accessories on would be of great help to avoid any type of injury, be it in any of your limbs as well as in the head.
Now, there are mountain bikes that also offer you the opportunity to use them on the asphalt. If this is your case, you should simply confirm that it has its catadioptric, ideal to be seen even in those places of low light or during the night.
While using a mountain bike, take into account the following tips.
In the case of an ideal bicycle for running in the mountains, these typically bring between 21 and 24 speeds incorporated into its gear system, capable of providing optimal performance if you find yourself rolling on slopes, climbs, or even any type of terrain. This way, we recommend that you manage to use them properly.
To do this, you simply have to make the changes when you feel that you are working hard to pedal or, conversely, when you feel that you are not making a little effort. It should be noted that making the changes properly will depend mainly on the type of path you travel to.
If an uphill is anticipated, you must make a change to a higher number, while in downhill, it must be the opposite, to achieve greater control of the bicycle. On the other hand, you must look at the path you are traveling, as it would help you to determine certain obstacles that may be on the road.
The Most Popular Brands of Mountain Bike
As we have already seen, the purchase of mountain bikes carries a series of implications that should not be overlooked. One of the aspects that most interest amateur users are the search for brands capable of offering quality, safety, and excellent performance in the field.
That is why we have researched the most popular brands of mountain bikes available on the web. We intend to offer all the useful information you may need in one place.
Moma Bikes is a bicycle company of great popularity at the level of Spain and in several countries in Europe. It is a 100% Spanish brand with its origins in the city of Barcelona and has been providing services and a great experience to the sector for more than 15 years. In Moma Bikes, you find not only the quality that a specialized manufacturer can offer but also the satisfaction of supporting local work and production.
Analyzing the opinions on the web, we find why so many users in the market prefer the bicycles of this company. Moma Bikes offers all its customers a two-year guarantee on each of its products.
Their bicycles pass through a rigorous quality control system, and no product is sent outside the workshop until each of the controls is successfully passed.
Finally, this company offers us a varied catalog that seeks to respond to all the needs and demands present in the market while maintaining a reasonably affordable value for money.
This company was founded in 1880. Falcon Cycles is a British manufacturer of bicycles that had its origins in Coventry. Today it is a traditional company of great popularity in the European Union that has excellent backgrounds and vast experience in the sector, making it a great alternative when looking for quality models.
Among the company’s important milestones, in 1898, he began, like other manufacturers of the moment, to experiment with the application of gasoline engines to his bicycle models. With this fact, he manages to produce the first motorcycle. During the two great wars that hit Europe and the world during the first half of the twentieth century, Falcon remained active in production and invention.
By the time of the postwar period, they would begin to produce the first competition bicycles, making their way to a new market: that of recreation. Its range of sports bicycles was, for a long time, a point of great attraction for sports enthusiasts and one of the company’s significant landmarks.
KS Cycling began its activities in the design and commercialization of bicycles in the year 2000. With the outbreak of the new century, a bicycle company born entirely focused on electronic commerce was born, turning the experience of buying these products into a task that could be performed from Home comfort without complications.
This company of German origin is proud to be one of the pioneers in electronic commerce and to bring to the world the characteristic quality of German products in each of its creations.
The brand’s concept is structured under the idea of offering each of its customers the bicycle of their dreams. For this, they have invested time and effort in creating a highly varied catalog that seeks to respond to different needs or lifestyles. All sorts of bikes, including a mountain bike, a city bike, or a casual use model, KS Cycling presents you with beautiful options.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best GPS for mountain bikes?
With the growing interest of the user community towards these devices, many brands present interesting GPS devices to the market for their additional functions and a high degree of precision. Ensuring that the best GPS for mountain biking would be complicated since many alternatives stand out for their performance. However, we can try to get closer to the best with the models that users rated as the best performers. These include options from brands such as Polar, Garmin, Walio, Xiaomi, Bryton, and Sigma.
What mountain bike to buy to start?
Acquiring a suitable mountain bike will depend on several factors. One of the most important is the regularity of use and the budget that is available to purchase since some alternatives have a high price, but an adequate performance, with an extended useful life given by Your manufacturing materials.
Another feature is the frame size and the braking and suspension systems. The painting must adapt to the structure of the person and allow it to support the weight. Likewise, the vehicle must have an easy-to-operate brake system and a suspension with an adequate damping degree. Once these properties have been analyzed, some of the most convenient brands are Moma Bikes, Ecosmo, Getty, and New Star.
How to clean a mountain bike?
Cleaning a mountain bike is simple, but it is necessary first to get an adequate spray cleaning product to apply on the surface. This should be left to act on the structure and then removed. Next, it is necessary to remove the mud from the transmission system using specific products. Some advise that detergent be applied with a damp cloth, then rinse and dry the excess water.
How to know the size of a mountain bike?
Each bicycle brand has its size system, which can make selecting the appropriate one a complicated task. However, there are ways to calculate it. To do this, the crotch height must be known. It is appropriate to stand up without shoes, with straight legs to measure the distance between the groin and the ground in centimetres. This figure should be multiplied by 0.21, and the result should be taken to the size chart of the brand of interest.
How to change the sprockets of a mountain bike?
This will require a cassette extractor key and a piece of the old chain. The rear wheel and the axle of the frame must be disassembled, disassembling the cassette and holding the sprockets to remove them. Then, the new cassette must be mounted on the shaft and adjusted.
How to regulate the change of a mountain bike?
These changes are regulated with a small dial that usually swivels, and that is on the bicycle’s handlebar. To operate it, it is only necessary to move it, and the gear change will occur. As in cars, the changes are applied when the route demands it. For more information on the regulation of changes, the user manual of the model should be read.
What is the best mountain bikes under $500 on the market?
The sport of mountain biking is very practised in the world. Still, to be able to do it more efficiently, if you are a beginner or a professional in the area, you must have a bicycle that allows you to face the different terrain that you will find in the field. The main thing that you should take into account before buying your model is the speeds that it gives you, the diameter of its wheels and also, its manufacturing materials and weight.
It depends on the use that you are going to give it and the needs you have, you can define which is the best mountain bikes under $500 on the market, so you must determine what you are going to use it for and if it is for your professional practices or to get started in this fascinating sport that will also allow you to reach places where you previously thought you could not, knowing beautiful landscapes and places.
In the commercial world, you will find different types of mountain bikes, some many brands and models could make your choice not easy, so we recommend that you be very careful when choosing your model, always depending on your needs.
Why buy a mountain bike?
To be able to have greater control in the use of the equipment and to be able to reach the places where you want in the field or the mountain, it is essential to have a mountain bike that will allow you to have different speeds to control the speed with which you move and also, the force you should use to climb to the surfaces.
If you have encouraged to buy one of these for your personal use or that of your children, there are some key points or determinants that you should analyze before making your choice.
These we have taken after making a comparison of mountain bikes that you can get in the market, and some of them are: the materials of manufacture, diameters of their wheels, the size that will let it fit perfectly to your body and you can use it with total comfort, and of course the budget, it is crucial to know how much it costs because you will find from the most expensive, to the one that is good and economical.
But to extend these details to you and to have the best choice for your needs, we prepare for you a guide to buying the best mountain bike under 500 dollars that you find in the market, and that fits your needs.
One of the main characteristics that you must consider before making your choice is the speed with which you need to move and the different lands on which you are going to use it, also remembering the slopes and slopes to which you must submit them.
In the more conventional models of mountain bikes, you will find a standard measure of 18 to 21 changes perfect for practicing or starting in the mountain sport. However, some reach up to 24 speeds for those who are professionals.
Another primary factor is the preparation material since they depend on the durability of the same and the resistance they can give you. The most common materials in mountain bikes, especially for the development of its frame, are carbon, aluminum, and steel, all chosen by manufacturers because they are very durable and excellent.
These materials are also combined with plastic and rubber, which are used for details and handles, more comfortable for users.
The quality of the brake materials is also indispensable. There are two types, those of rubber shoes and those of discs, such as those currently used for their efficiency and effectiveness to stop the bicycle or simply lower the speed in a controlled manner.
Size and size
The size of mountain bikes is usually standard, but you can also find models that are resistant materials and also foldable to facilitate the use of them and take up less space when you are not using them.
You must analyze the size that is suitable for your height, because not any model fits any person and the most common are S ideal for people of 1 meter 60 centimeters of 14 inches; M was ranging from 1 m 65 cm to 1 m 70 cm from 16 to 18 ”; the averages that go from 1.75 to 1.80 with 18 or 19 ”; and the L that can use it 1 m 80 cm to 1 m 90 cm and go up to 221 inches.
As we mentioned before, the price can be a highly determining factor in our purchase, and this is because being a sports team, the investment to be made is usually very high. Still, currently, there are many models and brands in the market.
You must take into account that these prices are referential and may vary by the time of purchase. The best-selling models range from 130 dollars in the cheapest and up to more than 400 dollars in the most sophisticated types.
Kevin Stard – professional sportsman in category MTB. Participant of the Downhill World Cup #1
- 1 Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike
- 2 Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Men’s Mountain Bike
- 3 Schwinn S29 Mens Mountain Bike
- 4 Merax FT323 Mountain Bike
- 5 Diamondback Overdrive 29
- 6 Kent Hawkeye Mountain Bike
- 7 Huffy 26″ Nighthawk Men’s Mountain Bike
- 8 Diamondback Bicycles Cobra 20 Youth Mountain Bike
- 9 Roadmaster Granite Peak Men’s Mountain Bike
- 10 Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Bike
- 11 Mongoose Impasse Men’s Mountain Bike
- 12 Hiland 26″ Aluminum Mountain Bike 24 Speed
- 13 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- 14 SIRDAR S-700 27-Speed Mountain Bike
- 15 Vilano Blackjack 3.0 29er
- 16 Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 for Women
- 17 Royce Union RMT Women’s 21 Speed All-Terrain Mountain Bike
- 18 Mongoose Switchback Trail Adult Mountain Bike
- 19 Mongoose Status 2.2
- 20 Stone Mountain Women’s Mountain Bike
- 21 Eurobike Bike X1
- 22 Royce Union RMA Women’s 21-Speed All-Terrain Mountain Bike
- 23 Best Mountain Bike Under $500 – Buying Guide
- 24 FAQ
- 25 Conclusion
- 26 How To Use A Mountain Bike
- 27 The Most Popular Brands of Mountain Bike
- 28 Frequently asked questions
- 29 What is the best mountain bikes under $500 on the market?