The best women’s road bikes for beginners suggested below are based on the reviews received from the finest riders there are.
Can you recognize a road bike from any other bicycle with just a glance? When you compare it with an intricate full-suspension mountain bike, a road bike has not changed much over the years.
It still looks a lot like a traditional bicycle and has a similar silhouette to those that were raced nearly five decades ago. If you are wondering if anything has changed, then the electronic 24-speed drivetrains and carbon ﬁber frames that accompany high-end machines have a lot to speak for themselves.
Mountain bikes now are more comfortable than ever, technically sophisticated, and are much faster than those 50 years ago.
In simple, road bikes are bicycles that are designed and built to travel at speed, primarily on paved roads. They get their name from the terrain they are made for.
Designed especially for paved roads, these bikes can take you as far and as fast as you can go, and as much as your legs can manage.
Road bikes are often confused with a racing bicycle. They are bicycles of similar style, but road bikes are built for endurance and not just for speed.
For years, bicycle companies offered only one variant of road bikes for men and women. But in recent years, there was an increase in the number of women who rode bikes, and female-specific bikes were introduced in the market.
Road bikes are arguably considered unisex and are ideally used by people of all ages and sex. But, because of the structural difference between men and women, they are now designed differently.
Though women can ride unisex bicycles, keeping in mind that there are many beginners riding road bikes, women-specific designs were introduced.
Are you a beginner who is keen on riding? Here are some advantages of cycling to further pique your interest.
It has been long known that to be healthy, you need to eat right and enthusiastically participate in physical activities.
Cycling is a low-impact exercise that helps you stay healthy, and is enjoyed by individuals of all ages, from toddlers on a tricycle to children, young adults, adults, as well as the aged or older adults.
Riding regularly offers the following benefits:
- It does not require a high level of skill, unlike other fitness mantras. Once you learn how to ride, you never forget.
- Cycling is a more enjoyable and environmentally-friendly way to travel, making it a logical choice for fitness, as you can make it a part of your commute.
- It is a low-impact fitness exercise that causes less strain on the joints when compared to other activities. Hence, it can be practiced while recovering from an injury or illness.
- Pedaling uses all major muscle groups, making cycling an ideal work-out to build muscle.
Cycling offers the benefits that aerobics do and triggers the release of the body’s feel-good chemical, endorphin.
- It promotes weight loss as it helps you burn calories fast.
- It cuts the risk of developing heart disease and cancer.
- It boosts your brainpower and improves mental well-being as exercise is linked to brain health.
Cycling offers all the benefits that other physical activities do, from fighting obesity to sleeping well and strengthening your immune system.
It is an ideal choice for people of all ages who want to stay fit while enjoying their physical activity.
Best Women’s Road Bikes for Beginners Whose Interest Is Now Piqued!
Having read about the benefits of cycling, many individuals would now be wondering why a road bike is an ideal choice.
You may still be a little hesitant to own one!
Road bikes are a perfect choice not only for the benefits that cycling offers but also because these bikes are built tough and complete for smooth and hard surfaces.
The riding position on these bikes makes them an ideal choice for speed. The bike is ergonomically designed to make it easier to ride uphill as well. It is a complete package as it is lightweight, fast, and efficient and best described as the ‘sports car of cycling.
Some of the best women’s road bikes for beginners listed below are widely appreciated for every feature, from their dashing looks to their build and the benefits they offer.
1. Diamondback Bicycles Arden 2 Womens Road Bike
The Arden 2 from Diamondback is an aluminum road bike for women with mechanical disc brakes. This model is a part of the high-end bikes with cutting-edge technology that offers enhanced performance. The bike is equipped with Shimano Sora shifters which offer 18 speeds with 2 x 9 transmission. It is ideal for beginners and occasional cyclists.
The Diamondback Arden 2 has a competitive component mix that takes comfort a step further to provide female-friendly touchpoints and size range.
It gives you everything a woman needs in a bike, from a bike saddle to narrower-width handlebars for a comfortable ride.
Features and specifications
- Brand: Diamondback Bicycles
- Model: Arden 2
- Rider Height: 4’10” to 5’0″ (48 cm); 5’9″ to 5’11” (56 cm)
- Frame Size: 48 cm/56 cm
- Frame Material: Aluminum frame with butted and formed tubing that is light and durable
- Enhanced braking power and control with Tektro Lyra mechanical front/rear disc brakes
- Diamondback Century 700x28c wide tires that are added for stability and comfort
- Shimano Sora 2×9 speed shifters that offer a wide range of gears
- Tapered steerer with DBR Podium air-formed disc alloy fork for enhanced handling performance
- Shimano Sora cranks and derailleurs
- Wheels: Diamondback Equation, 28h, Doublewall
- Weight: 22.8 lb
- Custom designed frame for women
- Versatile drivetrain
- Exceptional features that enhance the riding experience
- Tektro mechanical disc brakes with great braking power
- Built for stability and comfort
- Easy to assemble
- Slightly heavy for a bicycle with an aluminum frame
2. Giordano Libero 1.6 White/Pink Womens Road Bike
The Giordano Libero road bike is built for a quiet and smooth ride and an ideal choice for those riding several miles.
As a bike with a captivating Italian design, it offers optimized speed and control for beginners.
The effortless shift of gears and durable brakes along with the lightweight it provides makes this bike the best choice for a beginner.
The bicycle offers a good combination of lightness with crabbed wheelset to obtain speed and, at the same time, absorb the shocks due to any holes.
In fact, the handmade 6061 aluminum frame guarantees extreme lightness, solidity, and durability. On the other hand, the forks are in high tensile steel to withstand the road’s stresses.
The Giordano Libero 1.6 is delivered almost assembled. Adjustments may be a little difficult for those with no experience, and you may need professional assistance.
Features and specifications
Holders for two bottle of water
- Brand: Giordano
- Model: Libero 1.6
- Rider Height: 5’2″ to 5’7″
- Frame Size: 26”
- Frame Material: handcrafted 6061 aluminum frame; high tensile steel fork
- Alloy caliper brakes with side pull front and rear
- Shimano ST2300 STI 16 Speed with integrated brake levers
- 32 hole front and rear Alloy hubs with quick release
- Dual water bottle mounts
- Prowheel Alloy Arms 170mm 42/52 crank
- Weight: 24 lb
- Warranty: contact the seller
- Excellent and resistant handmade frame
- Excellent value for money
- Offers a smooth ride
- Replaceable derailleur hanger
- Quality components
- It only comes in pink and white
- Uncomfortable seats
- Having no disc brakes, braking is not very powerful
- Distance between fingers and shifters
3. Schwinn Phocus 1400 and 1600 Drop Bar Road Bicycle for Men and Women
The Schwinn Phocus road bike is designed for speed with lightweight frames and components. It offers a powerful and aerodynamic riding position with its minimal accessories drop handlebars.
The bike also provides multiple gears and narrow, high-pressure tires with minimal rolling resistance that provides the best riding experience.
The Schwinn Phocus is not only an ideal bike for starters, but it is also an excellent choice for those who are making progress and are looking for the right bike for this.
Features and specifications
- Brand: Schwinn
- Model: Phocus 1400/1600
- Frame Material: Carbon fiber fork and Schwinn aluminum road frame for quick and agile riding
- Precision attained with Promax alloy caliper brakes
- Shimano 16-speed drivetrain offers smooth, fast gear changes
- High-profile alloy rims with paired spokes
- Wide gear range offered by 3-piece alloy crank
- Micro shift integrated brake levers
- Weight: 26 lb
- Amazing quality with lightweight components
- Offers performance for the price
- Comfortable saddle suitable for men and women
- Two colors in the offer
- Quality control issue with the bottom bracket that produces a clicking sound while pedaling
- Although the brakes are responsive, the pads require additional pressure to stop the bike
4. Tommaso Imola Endurance Aluminum Road Bike
- YOU DON’T NEED TO SPEND MORE THAN $600: Because Tommaso is a direct to the consumer brand you can now get a bike with 100% Shimano gears, super lightweight aluminum frame, and lightweight wheels for under $600. Tommaso gives you value like no other brand. We provide a lifetime frame warranty and great service through our U.S. based customer service team.
- THE IMOLA IS AFFORDABLE PERFORMANCE, NOT ENTRY LEVEL: If you are just getting into cycling or returning after a long hiatus, this is your bike. New and returning cyclists don’t need “beginner bikes”, that won’t meet your needs or last. You deserve affordable performance! The Imola embodies the idea of affordable performance with a full Shimano groupset you hope is on bikes costing $100’s more. Compare the Imola’s specs with any bike, and you will see the difference between us and the competition
It is a bike that proudly flaunts its value for money, and offers that as well. The Tommaso Imola is a bike that is built to last with the highest quality aluminum and Shimano components.
It offers the best value for an entry-level bicycle when compared to the biggest brands in the industry. With the best parts designed to work flawlessly together, the bike offers a strong, reliable, and lightweight ride.
Features and specifications
- Brand: Tommaso
- Model: Imola
- 6061 SLA Aluminum compact road frame and SST steel fork
- Full Shimano R2000 Claris Groupset that assures great shifting and maximum performance
- Lightweight Tommaso TC-20 wheels that offer reliable performance and is suitable for all road conditions
- Shimano R2000 Claris Brake Calipers
- Weight: n/a
- Warranty: Lifetime frame warranty/2 years on components
- All components from Shimano
- Offers value for money
- Provides comfort with speed
- Suitable for all road conditions
- Needs to be assembled by a professional
5. Schwinn Volare 1400 Road 700C Wheel Bicycle
- Schwinn aluminum road frame with a steel road fork ensures quick, agile riding
- 14-speed integrated shifter/brake lever combo works with derailleurs for precise shifting
The Schwinn Volare offers an aluminum road frame with a steel road fork for quick and agile riding experience. It offers a 14-speed integrated shifter and brake lever combo that provides precise shifting.
The bike is fast and rides smooth as it comes with oversized road tires that can run on any roads. The double-wall alloy rims that are light and strong are made for toughness. The bike offers a smooth and speedy ride with comfort.
Features and specifications
- Brand: Schwinn
- Model: Volare 1400
- Sleek and stylish ride that is built for speed and agility
- Shimano 14-speed integrated shifter and brake lever combo
- Front and rear Shimano Derailleurs.
- Lightweight aluminum frames
- Weight: 29 lb
- Great quality parts
- Value for money
- Distance between fingers and shifters
- Difficult to assemble
- The high cost of replacement
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Bike for Overweight Female
What is a good bike for an overweight female? There are several critical factors to look our for including bike material, the right bike seat, and correct sizing.
If you’re riding a bike built for overweight women, then the right brakes are critical. But what exactly are the best brakes for overweight bike riders?
When talking about bike brakes, you’re talking about rim brakes and disc brakes.
The main downside is that they are a few pounds heavier than rim brakes. Yes this adds to the overall weight of your bike, but we think the pros outweigh the cons.
To make biking comfortable if you are overweight, we recommend getting the right saddle.
What exactly is the right saddle if you’re overweight? Well, it probably means a wider saddle, although this is not always the case.
Your saddle length will depend on your seat bone width, which can easily be measured at home or any bike store.
A comfortable saddle for overweight riders is also one that is padded, although which kind of padding you want (gel or foam) is a personal preference. I recommend using a foam saddle if you are a heavier rider though, as it provides more support and is firmer.
The Right Tires
In bikes for big women, wider tread tires have always been easier to balance and deliver a more stable ride.
The tire size plus rims should also be considered in bikes for obese adults not only for safety but also comfort and endurance.
The right gear is crucial for overweight ladies. It will come in very helpful if you choose to ride challenging hills.
For overweight women riders, we would focus on the right padded bike shorts. Along with the best saddle for an overweight rider, padded bike shorts will help make your rides extremely comfortable and enjoyable.
If you are in a colder environment, you might want to consider a soft shell jacket. They’ve gained popularity with cyclists over the years and with good reason. Not only are they extremely breathable, but are more comfortable than traditional hard shell jackets.
A bike for a heavy woman has enough strength not to bend to pressure over time from carrying a heavier load.
Bikes have historically (since the late 1800’s) been built using steel frames. While steel is incredibly strong and durable, it is heavier than other popular options like aluminum and carbon fiber. It also is prone to ruse, which is something to keep in mind if you live on the coast.
However, steel is incredibly easy to repair and offers a relatively smooth ride.
Nowadays you’ll see many more bike frames made out of aluminum. It is resistant to corrosion and also has a very good strength to weight ratio.
The downside to Aluminum is that it is relatively stiff and can be a little uncomfortable to ride. So if you’re doing long distance touring or anything similar, aluminum might not be the best option.
Our frame of choice is carbon. It is significantly lighter than other frame materials, which is going to be noticeable on hills.
For overweight riders, carbon also has a key advantage of being easier to bend into different shapes. What this means is bike manufacturers can selectively strengthen certain high stress areas of the bike. Not only does this equate to a sturdier bike, but also more comfort.
Step Through Frame
As you start shedding the pounds by biking, it will be easier and easier to mount and dismount your bike. However, at first you might want to consider a step through frame.
If you’re unfamiliar with a step-through frame, it is a style of bike that doesn’t have the top tube (or crossbar). This allows you to “step through” the bike a lot easier.
Sizing a Bike for Overweight Women
Getting the correct sized bike as an overweight woman is perhaps the most important thing you’ll do. But how exactly do you find your correct bike size as a woman?
Well, just like with jeans, you want to first focus on your inseam (leg) length. The taller you are, the higher the frame of the bike you will need to feel comfortable.
Here are bike sizing charts for women for road bikes, hybrid bikes, and mountain bikes. Note that mountain bikes require a smaller frame that road bikes, as they are require you to bend over and be positioned lower on the bike as you ride.
After finding the correct frame size, you can always make minor adjustments to the bike to make it feel right for you. For example, you can optimize your bike fit by raising/lowering the height of the seat or even your handlebars.
We recommend you always do this under the supervision of a bike fitting specialist. After all, a bike is not a cheap investment, and you want to ensure you feel comfortable and minimize the chance of injuries.
What Are Benefits Of Riding A Bike To An Overweight Woman
So, why should you ride your bike, especially if you are overweight?
- Shed Weight
Bicycling daily can promote weight loss and make you healthier. Even moderate biking burns an estimated 650 calories in one hour!
So you will soon be back in shape.
- Good for Your Heart
Biking is an aerobic activity and is a great cardio workout. It strengthens your heart, increases your heart rate, and has been associated with a lowering the risk of getting heart disease.
- Be Happier
Biking stimulates the release of more endorphins— the famous feel-good hormone. You are likely to feel happier, full of positivity, free, and re-energized to pursue your life goals.
- Become Social
You can join the local cycling club which gives you a chance to meet and socialize with people with whom you share a common interest.
A cold beer will be more enjoyable if shared with friends after a tough afternoon ride on your bike!
- You Help The Environment
Going green is the in thing nowadays and biking is an environmentally friendly commuting options as it involves zero emissions.
So, you will be helping the World as much as you’re helping yourself.
Tricks and Skills for First-Time Road Cyclists
Riding should be pleasurable. So, here are some tips for first-time women road cyclists to help them make the experience more pleasurable.
Make sure that you buy the right-sized road bike and pay particular attention to the frame size.
Set up the bike properly, ensuring that handlebars and the saddle are at the right height.
Use clipless pedals when you practice as it allows you to ride faster.
Looking good is important as well, so buy beautiful cycling clothes that boost your enthusiasm.
Practice on a nice route that will help you focus on the bike rather than the route itself.
Carry the tools when you are on a solo ride.
Learn how to change the inner tube. Better practiced at home with an experienced rider.
Make sure that the tire pressure is just right before you ride.
Buy a cycling helmet that fits just right
Make sure that you eat well and hydrate yourself during your ride.
Don’t forget to pay attention to your position on the bike for an injury-free ride.
Learn how to shift into suitable gears.
Practicing carving up the corners by working on your cornering technique.
Pay attention to what lies ahead and look out for obstacles.
Don’t forget to learn how to maintain your bike!
Riding is like any other sport; you must put in your best effort to reap its benefits.
Is cycling good for women?
Cycling is a great way for everyone, women and men, to exercise. Cycling helps improve overall health and physical condition.
Should I buy a woman-specific road bike?
For most women, the torso is shorter, and the legs are longer than men, and the shoulders are narrower and the hands smaller. This explains why bikes for women exist. However, many women ride unisex bicycles, and, depending on your physical characteristics, you may not need a women-specific bike.
Why is women’s bike frames different?
The bar is inclined downwards on women’s bikes. Furthermore, the dimensions of the frame are generally a little smaller.
How to make saddles more comfortable?
Many novice cyclists set the bike seat too low to stand with two feet on the ground. But to improve comfort while pedaling, it is better to raise the saddle. However, if you feel pain in the back of the knee, it can mean that the saddle is too high.
Can An Overweight Person Ride A Bike?
Cycling is a form of exercise that suits overweight people. If you are overweight, you can cycle for fun or while commuting.
So, yes, an overweight person can ride a bike. What matters is that you pick a sturdy framed bike that can sustain your weight. Our recommendation is always carbon frames, as they don’t bend or break over time.
Do Women’s Bikes Have Weight Limits?
While some of the bikes for overweight ladies come with specified weight capacities, others don’t.
The reason is that factors like terrain, tire type, and cycling style make manufacturers hesitant to specify bike capacities.
Those factors determine how much load a given bike can take and for how long.
Does Bike Weight Really Matter?
Yes a bike weight matters!
The obvious advantage is that a lighter bike is easy to carry around. If you’re commuting in the city for work or shopping on your bike, this is a huge plus.
In addition, especially if you live in a hilly area like San Francisco, every gram you can remove from your bike frame while make a tangible difference.
This is another reason why we always recommend carbon frames if you can afford. Not only are they strong and don’t carry the risk of bending or breaking over time that metal frames do, but they are extremely lightweight.
Can Women Ride 24-Inch Bicycles?
Yes, there’s no problem with women riding 24-inch bikes if the frame is right for your height and inseam length. Nowadays, some of the best 24-inch bikes are unisex.
Can A 300-Pound Person Ride A Bike?
Typically, most heavy-duty bikes have a 275-300 lb carrying capacity. So, yes, a 300-pound person can ride most bikes without a problem.
Not all bikes can tolerate 300 pounds, however. So, look for the best bikes made specifically for obese riders.
Riding a bicycle requires precision, power, and balance. It is a sport that you can fall in love with if you choose the right model that is the best fit for you.
For the first-time riders, our best recommended is the Diamondback Bicycles Arden 2 Women’s Road Bike.
While some people believe the bike to be inclined more towards the costlier end, it offers the best value for money. The Diamondback Bicycles Arden 2 Women’s Road Bike is the right fit, especially for beginners.
- 1 Best Women’s Road Bikes for Beginners Whose Interest Is Now Piqued!
- 2 1. Diamondback Bicycles Arden 2 Womens Road Bike
- 3 2. Giordano Libero 1.6 White/Pink Womens Road Bike
- 4 3. Schwinn Phocus 1400 and 1600 Drop Bar Road Bicycle for Men and Women
- 5 4. Tommaso Imola Endurance Aluminum Road Bike
- 6 5. Schwinn Volare 1400 Road 700C Wheel Bicycle
- 7 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Bike for Overweight Female
- 8 The Right Tires
- 9 Sizing a Bike for Overweight Women
- 10 What Are Benefits Of Riding A Bike To An Overweight Woman
- 11 Tricks and Skills for First-Time Road Cyclists
- 12 FAQs
- 13 Conclusion