Skateboarding is an amazing, adrenaline-filled activity. However, if you are new to the activity, skateboarding can look like a herculean task. Besides, riding a skateboard without learning can expose you to the risk of falling. So, you must first learn what it takes to ride a skateboard for the first time.
Are you ready to learn how to ride a skateboard for the first time? Follow the guide below:
Set up a skateboard
The first thing you have to do is to get a skateboard. You are advised to consider your body size before choosing any skateboard. Afterward, you need to set up your skateboard before you start riding it.
Generally, the major parts of a skateboard are the skateboard bearings, trucks, wheels, and deck. Make sure each part that you choose is suitable for your skateboard. If you are confused, don’t hesitate to ask the employees at a skate store to help you select a skateboard for beginners. You can also ask for assistance from experienced skaters on how you can set up your board.
How you can push a skateboard
To ride a skateboard, you must know how to push it without falling. So, you should practice how to push a skateboard and ensure you get enough stability before you start skateboarding. It is recommended that you practice skating on a soft patch of grass. The grass will prevent you from getting injured if you fall while practicing for the first time.
Do the following:
- Put your left or right foot forward and keep the other foot on the skateboard. You should practice a couple of times to ascertain the particular leg you need to put forward. Calm down so that your upper body will get the needed balance.
- Once you are comfortable on the body, use the forward foot to push yourself. This will move your whole body forward as you start skating. Then, you can place your front foot on the skateboard and continue enjoying the ride.
- Make sure your movements are kept straightforward because this is the only way to prevent falling off the skateboard.
- To move at the pace you want, continue pushing with your front foot as if you are just strolling.
- Make some pushes regularly to ensure that you are in control of your movement on the skateboard.
While practicing, don’t push the skateboard too far away from yourself as this will make you lose control and fall.
How you can turn on a skateboard
As you ride a skateboard, you may have to turn. Therefore, turning on a skateboard is the second skill you should learn.
- To turn on a skateboard, the first thing you should do is to push on the nail of the skateboard.
- Afterward, utilize your front foot to guide the skateboard in the direction you want to turn to.
As a beginner, you should first master how you can turn slowly. Over time, you will be able to turn quickly without falling or hurting yourself.
How you can stop and brake on a skateboard
Of course, you cannot ride a skateboard forever. Therefore, you need to learn how you can stop it. To brake and stop a skateboard, you need to do the following:
- Foot braking is the most common method for stopping a skateboard. To use this method, you need to take your back foot away from the skateboard and put it on the road. This will help you to control the movement of the board until it finally stops.
You should learn this technique on a smooth surface with small cracks and obstacles. Such a surface will assist you to stop the skateboard. After some periods, you should move to practice on rough surfaces.
To learn more about how to ride a skateboard for the first time, watch this video.
Safety tips for riding a skateboard for the first time
Riding a skateboard is more than just understanding the steps to take. You need to know some safety tips which include:
- Wear protective gear
Buy a skateboard helmet that can prevent injuries to your chin, skull, and other parts. Notably, you cannot avoid falling when you are learning to ride a skateboard. Therefore, protect yourself by wearing a helmet.
You also need to get a protective cap, wrist guards, knee pads, and elbow pads that can protect different parts of your body.
- Practice around other skateboarders
As a beginner, you shouldn’t practice alone. Try to practice around other skateboarders that can help you to improve your skateboarding skills. They can also assist you to observe some safety measures.
In a nutshell, you are never going to become a pro skateboarder overnight. You must understand that mastering how to skateboard is a process. Therefore, you should dedicate some periods to practice and hone your skateboarding skills.